Thread: Emotional

Hybrid View

Emotional

Why is it that I am too emotional or sensitive when I am pregnant?

Dear jellyace,

It is normal to feel more emotional or more sensitive when you are pregnant; particularly in the first trimester. This is because the pregnancy hormone is rising and so are the levels of oestrogen and progesterone in your blood. This may mean that you feel that your emotions are all over the place. You may feel excited about the baby one minute and tearful or worried the next. Most women find that these emotions settle down after the first trimester. However, around 10% of women suffer from pregnancy-related depression. If you feel you are in a low mood that you are unable to break out of then you should seek help from your doctor or midwife.

It is wise to get as much rest as you can in the first trimester and try to eat a healthy, balanced diet if possible (I know this can be difficult if you are suffering from morning sickness).

Best wishes,
    LJ

I am also "afraid" of this. I hope I will not be too emotional and cry all the time because I do not want to worry my husband too much with this.
    Pregnancy should be a wonderful time of only joy and expectations and not crying and worrying.

Dear jane88,

Please don't worry about feeling like this in the future. It is normal to feel more emotional or sensitive when you are pregnant. After all, a new life is forming and developing within you and this not only changes a woman's hormones it also can make her reconsider life and how sacred this is. Many husbands and partners find pregnancy to be an emotional time - and they are not even experiencing a change in hormones! In my experience, I have found this it is better to just go with your emotions in pregnancy and try to talk about them.

Some amount of worry can also be normal in pregnancy and you shouldn't feel guilty about the thought of this. You can always discuss with your midwife or antenatal group any concerns you have and, of course, we are here to support you on the Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond forum.

Warm wishes,
    LJ