Hybrid View

How true that a pregnant woman is not allowed to use computer for long period?

My co-teacher was pregnant before and she was our Grade Chairman then. She gave me all the responsibilities for paper works. How true is it that during pregnancy, a woman is not allowed to work on a computer for a long period of time for it may cause side effect on the child inside the womb?

Dear jellyace,

Computers do not cause any problems in pregnancy. Around 40 years ago there was some research that computer use could increase the risk of miscarriage or the risk of a baby having a low birth rate. However, this research was not sound and computer screens have now been shown to emit only non-ionizing radiation which cannot harm an unborn baby. So this research has now been discounted and the current recommendation is that computers are safe to use in pregnancy.

However, what is not recommended is to put a laptop or electronic tablet on your stomach or thighs and use it from this position because this could transfer too much heat to the baby. It is best to use a computer that is placed on a table.

You need to pay extra attention to your posture in pregnancy because backache is a common pregnancy complaint. There you need a supportive chair and to take regular breaks from work on the computer.

Best wishes,
    LJ

Oh! This is very informative for me. Thanks

I'm glad this information was helpful.

Please do post back if you have any further questions.

Best wishes,
    LJ