Caffeine during pregnancy?

I know that we are to limit our caffeine intake but it's proven difficult, as there are trace amounts in chocolate and it is also in the tea that I prefer. I simply cannot remember what the recommended amount to stay below is. Can anyone remind me? Thanks in advance!

Hi sgroves1,

Thank you for posting this important question.

In pregnancy it is recommended that women consume no more than 200 mg of caffeine a day. Some energy drinks and coffees contain around 200 mg of caffeine in just one drink: see this information on the Caffeine Content of Drinks. If you look down this list you will also see that some single drinks (be they large) contain more than a pregnant woman's recommended daily caffeine allowance. This is worrying as caffeine increases the chance of: miscarriage, low birth weight and even stillbirth.

Black tea only contains around 40-50mg of caffeine per cup (so it depends how much tea you drink). There is a similar amount of caffeine in 100g of dark chocolate....but this is quite a lot of chocolate to eat in one day! There is approximately 20mg of caffeine in 100g of milk chocolate.

So, chocolate does not contribute much caffeine and neither does tea (if you drink in moderation). However, pregnant women must be particularly careful of coffee and energy drinks.

Have you considered swapping to decaf tea or coffee? Just be aware that some studies show that chemically decaffeinated coffee is more risky in pregnancy than caffeinated coffee. It is best to drink coffee which has been decaffeinated by the Swiss Water Filter Process (i.e. without the chemicals which can be risky in pregnancy).

I hope this helps - please do post back if you have any further questions.
    Warm wishes,
    LJ

ljmarsden,

Thanks for your reply! I drink mostly water while pregnant and have considered switching to decaf tea but unfortunately, the kind I like isn't available in decaf. I'll just have to watch my intake. Thanks again!

You are really welcome.

Please note that caffeine should also be kept to a minimum when trying to conceive as well as in pregnancy (and also when breastfeeding).

Warm wishes,
    LJ