First time pregnancy bleeding and scared!

I have found out the 31st that I am pregnant and according to my LMC I am 6 weeks pregnant well I have been spotting barely here and there a few days since I found out well yesterday morning (1-6) I had horribly pains and then started bleeding bright red so I went to the dr. I bled from about 9 am til 3 pm and there was a lot but finally the pain quit just bleeding. I had blood taken and ultra sound at first when he was zoomed we saw nothing in there just the gest. sack and nothing else but he zoomed out a little and at the very edge you can see a little flicker and then you could see a little dot with a heart beating made me feel a little better but why would we not be able to see it zoomed in? do you think he was trying not to scare me or something? my cervix was not dilated so I didn't have MC thank the good lord for that. this morning I had bled a little but not much at all and it was darker red not bright red. the dr told me all I can do is ride it out and that was it I have no idea what is going on.

-thanks mistie

Dear Mistie,

Welcome to our forum.

I am sorry that you are having a worrying time at the moment. Many mums do bleed in pregnancy (around 25%) and the good news is that most of these mums go on to have a healthy baby. However, bleeding is not considered a 'normal' part of pregnancy and bleeding should always be reported to your doctor or midwife.

It is positive that your sonographer saw a heartbeat. If a pregnant woman is bleeding and a heartbeat is seen then it is most likely that the pregnancy will continue (there is around an 85% chance of the pregnancy continuing to be healthy after a heartbeat is seen when there is bleeding).

What is also positive is that your cervix is closed (in a miscarriage the cervix will tend to be open) and it also sounds like the bleeding is stopping. Sometimes an embryo can just dislodge some blood which is a possibility in this case.

When the sonographer is 'zoomed in' they can only see less of the womb in one go (it is like being closer to a picture and so only being able to see one part of it); 'zooming out' enables a sonographer to see more of the womb and so look for the location of the heartbeat.

What is the plan for your next appointment? Will you be having another ultrasound scan or are you having your hCG blood levels monitored (these levels approximately double every 48 hours in a healthy pregnancy)?

From what you have described, it sounds more likely that the pregnancy will continue (because the bleeding is stopping and your cervix was closed and, importantly, a heartbeat was seen) but we cannot say for sure at this point I am afraid. Often more tests are needed (blood test or ultrasound or both) as described above to check what is happening.

Please do post back if I can help answer any further questions. I hope that all continues well with you.

Warm wishes,
    LJ