Always asking something to eat

My 2 year old is always asking something to eat. After a heavy meal, she wants something to eat again. She's asking almost every hour. Is this normal? Thanks.

Dear Leslie,

Many children get on better with smaller, more frequent meals. Young children are so active and burn so much energy that 6 small meals a day can help to supply them with a constant source of energy as well as being gentle on their digestion.

What is really important is the nutrient content in the meals that your daughter is getting. It sounds like she may not be getting all she needs from her meals even though they are 'heavy'. What does a typical day's meals look like for your daughter?

Remember that at this age children also need frequent healthy snacks throughout the day such as: raisins, breadsticks, orange, apple, banana etc. If you keep your children's meals and snacks healthy then you do not need to be concerned about the quantity of the food your daughter eats.

Here is a sample daily menu for a 2 year old from the American Academy of Pediatrics.

This First steps Nutrition booklet has loads of helpful information including more sample meal plans and sample snack choices.

In terms of the daily nutrient requirements for a 2 year old they are:

- 3oz of grains, half of which should be from wholegrains
    - 1 cup of vegetables
    - 1 cup of fruit
    - 2 cups of dairy
    - 2 oz of meat/ fish/ beans

I know it can be difficult at this age because toddlers can be notoriously fussy. However, for many toddlers they just want a bit of independence. What can work really well is having a 'grazing plate'; this is a plate you leave at a low down table full of healthy snacks for your child that they can come and go to throughout the day. Replenish the grazing plate when it gets low. This encourages a young child to eat healthily without interrupting their play.

Please do let me know what you think.

Best wishes,
    LJ
    Last edited by ljmarsden; 15th January 2014 at 08:09 AM.

It's normal in my house.

My kids are the same (6, 4 & 2). My son (4) asks for food the most though. He's forever saying he's hungry, so I usually tell him to either have a piece of fruit, or a drink of water between meals. Most of the time I think it's just out of boredom, cause he'll be either halfway through a meal or has just eaten when he insist he's hungry.

I'm starting to worry why she kept on asking for foods or something to eat. Thanks again, LJ. So I have nothing to worry then as long as I give her healthy foods/snack.
    And thank you Pippityroo.

Yes don't worry Leslie - if you are giving her healthy snacks and offering her nutritious meals then you don't have anything to be concerned about.

LJ