Thread: Picky eater

Picky eater

My five-year old is very picky eater. She prefer processed foods which I know is not good for her. Even if I force her to eat healthy foods, she still don't like it, and worst, she won't eat at all. In the end, she wins. I don't want her to go for a day with empty stomach. Will this just pass and for how long will she be like this?

Dear Leslie,

It's difficult isn't it. I can highly recommend this article by Dr Sears: 17 Tips for Pleasing the Picky Eater which includes tips like: having a grazing plate (that they can come and go to throughout the day), cut vegetables into interesting shapes with a cookie cutter and involve your child in planning and cooking meals (with careful supervision!).

I hope you will also find this gentle parenting article on helping a picky eater (from Little Hearts Parenting) helpful and reassuring.

This will pass but it is hard to say when. One day you will look back and see it was just a phase I hope these tips help you and your daughter in the meantime.

Best wishes,
    LJ

That tips are great. We will try that and hopefully she will like it. I learned that foods also play a great part in thier behavior and I am very concerned about it. Thank you so much.

You are very welcome Leslie. I really hope that some of these ideas work for your family.

Yes you are right - a child's diet is key in keeping their behaviour on track. A healthy breakfast which enables energy to slowly be released in your child's body throughout the morning is really important. Try to allow your daughter access to as much fresh fruit and vegetables as she wants. Eating wholegrain foods also help to keep a child's sugar levels more constant and so help with consistent behaviour.

Do let us know how you get on.

Best wishes,
    LJ