It seems that there is a lot of pressure on parents (and subsequently a lot of pressure on babies and young children) to sleep without disturbing their parents at night-time. Through the questions we ask new parents (How's the sleep? Are they sleeping through yet?) to sleep training books and sleep aid devices; parents can feel that their babies should be 'sleeping through the night' and something is wrong if they are not.

However, the reality is that babies and young children are designed to need their parents in the day and the night. This is normal and natural. My feeling is that we need to speak openly and honestly about how our young children are sleeping and accept this as a normal (and even enjoyable) part of life with young children.

I have personally found this article helpful: Getting a Good Night's Sleep - another perspective. Dr. Buckley writes:

'when we treat our children with love and respect for their needs, we plant the seeds for a lifetime of happiness and relaxed sleep'

This encourages me to continue to parent at night-time with gentleness, love and without hurry for things to change.

I would love to hear your views on this.

Warm wishes,
LJ