Hybrid View

Bleeding during Pregnancy

Hello,

Yesterday as my partner turned 13 weeks pregnant she noticed a small amount of spotting (described to me as a teaspoons worth) after urinating.

She became alarmed and claimed she had tummy pains. She was sent home from work and the bleeding subsided. She has had no bleeding for about 18 hours now, however is complaining of "period pains".

Can you let me know if we have a real reason to worry?

She phoned the midwife, who reassured her, however said to book in with her GP if she was worried.

Thanks

Dear Robert,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your question.

I'm sorry to hear about your concern for your partner.

Although bleeding or spotting is common in pregnancy (around 25% of women experience bleeding in pregnancy) it is not considered to be 'normal'. Was the blood brown? This is less of a concern but if it becomes bright red it can be cause for concern.

Has your partner already had her first scan?

Period type cramps and bleeding can unfortunately sometimes indicate a problem with the pregnancy. Please hold in mind that most bleeding in pregnancy still results in a healthy baby. However, I would recommend booking in with your doctor or midwife if your partner is still experiencing cramping and and any spotting/ bleeding.

Thinking of you,
    Please do post back if we can help you further.
    LJ