How long can I be blue?!

I have a 10 month old and I am still fighting Postnatal Depression. How long can this last? I have tried medication and I have gone through this without and it is just so hard when I know that I am not always like this. Are there any suggestions for helping to move beyond this feeling?

Hello Momof2,

I'm so sorry to hear that.

You should not have to carry on feeling like this. When did you last see your doctor about your depression? Does your doctor know that you have stopped the medication? How long were you taking the medication for? I would really encourage you to go back to your doctor. It may be that you need a change to the medication or a different/ additional approach such as counselling or cognitive behaviour therapy.

Do you have family and friends that are helping to support you? Do you feel you have a good support network? You should not feel guilty about talking to people about the postnatal depression - it is unfortunately very common. It normally lasts up to 12 months.

How much do you get out each day with your baby? Are you able to exercise at all? What does your diet look like at the moment?

Thinking of you,
    LJ

Thank you. I don't really talk to family and friends about it because I don't want to be a burden but I agree that I need to go back to my doctor about my script and my dosage.

If it is fairly common to last up to 12 months then maybe I am in the home stretch; I've got 10 months under my belt already.

Yes please do go back to your doctor and don't suffer with this alone.

Is your partner/ husband able to support you with this?

You may find the information from the mental health charity 'mind' helpful on : Postnatal Depression: Self-help and treatments.

Have you found any useful support of information through the PANDA postnatal depression charity?

Has the depression reduced at all in the last few months or not?

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Hi Momof2,

I noticed that you mentioned that you are exhausted from not getting enough rest at night. Rest is super important, so I'd encourage you to limit your extra activities and be sure you're getting to bed by 9pm. Think of sleep in this way.

In bed/asleep by 9pm, you're putting energy back into your body.
    In bed/asleep by 10pm, you're breaking even.
    In bed/asleep by 11pm or later, and you're taking energy out of your body (this is when you start to feel exhausted).

Do you have a hard time going to sleep when you go to bed? Melatonin is a hormone which you can take that helps the body to settle down and helps the brain to quiet down so that you can fall asleep easily.

If you're waking up in the middle of the night and staying awake for an hour or two this is an indication that your adrenals (which sit on top of your kidneys) are stressed and are becoming tired. There are lots of things you can do to support adrenal function.

Dr. Wilson wrote a book called: Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome. I've read that book and it's excellent! He has an online Adrenal Fatigue questionnaire you can take to see if you may have mild, moderate or severe Adrenal Fatigue.

I hope this helps give you more information to work with. After 5 children (and co-sleeping/breastfeeding for 2 1/2 to 3 years with most of them) my adrenals were tired and I had to learn how to rebuild them so that I was a happy Mum.

Warm Regards,

Kate

Being a single mum I don't have a partner to help but I have always been an insomniac so I will try to get the book and see if I can make it work! Thank you!