Hybrid View

Fighting the depression by medicine vs oxytocin from brestfeading

Hello everyone,

I suffered the depression after my births (both of them).

For my second birth I got to know the process and I was strongly convinced everything will be wonderful. I organized a home birth, and it was wonderful. I got a beautiful daughter and was set about breastfeeding as long as possible. But after a few months depression gotten a hold of me.

I was struggling to fight it, but then it got severe, and I had to go to the hospital. Doctor suggested me to start a medical treatment (my baby was 6 months and just started with her first solids) which would involve the end of breastfeeding.

I was in such a dilemma. It still hurts me when I think of it.

But I chose medicine. And I am such a happy mom now. The treatment is so effective that now I'm happier then I was before pregnancy

What are your experiences?
    Last edited by Tristana; 30th January 2014 at 10:34 AM. Reason: want to add tags

Dear Tristana,

I am so sorry to hear that you have suffered with postnatal depression two times. Postnatal depression can affect any mother and is very common. Please do not hold any guilt about the depression or what its consequences meant; you were wise to seek help. You don't know what the consequences of the depression could have been had you not sought help; it could have severely impacted you and your daughter's relationship.

Also, I think you should celebrate the 6 months that you breastfed your daughter for. Whilst breastmilk has many benefits and advantages for children aged two years and older; it is the first 6 months which are the most beneficial. Well done for giving your daughter this great start in life.

I am sorry to hear, however, that your doctor did not support you further in breastfeeding alongside postnatal depression support/ treatment. Whilst I do not know the details of your treatment, I do know that La Leche League produced this information on treating postnatal depression when breastfeeding:

'Dr. Hale concluded his talk by saying that breastfeeding should be supported fully and not interrupted by mom’s needs for medication; and that treatment of postpartum depression can be accomplished relatively safely in breastfeeding mothers. So, in his consideration, moms should continue breastfeeding and should get drug treatment as needed for depression.'

There are more details about the specific drug treatments and how safe they are when breastfeeding from the kellymom breastfeeding support page here. A number of the drugs are not safe when breastfeeding and I don't know the details about your medical history etc but I did want to share this here.

I'm very pleased to read you are a happy mum now

Thinking of you,
    LJ

Lightbulb

Thank you for your kind answer.

I didn't know that! I asked the doctor two times if I can have both, breastfeeding and treatment, but he answered no. I thought that's a must.

I think both would be perfect! I know how much the treatment helped me, but I still have a feeling that I lost something when I think of breastfeeding. And also for a note, this treatment helped me far better then the previous one. I feel so comfortable.

Thanks for your reply Tristana.

I'm sorry that your doctor was not aware of/ did not present you with all of the options for antidepressants and breastfeeding. I don't think that mothers should have to choose between breastfeeding and depression treatment; both are so important for both mother and baby.

However, you had to make your choice with the information you were presented with. You did the best for yourself and your baby. I am so pleased that the treatment helped you.

Thank you for sharing your story here.

Warm wishes,
    LJ