Proper Storage of Breastmilk

I am currently exclusively breastfeeding my 2 month old son and I am concern about breast milk storage. In the future, I know there will be times that I have to run some errands and would need to leave my little one at home. I am planning to pump to be able to still feed him breast milk even when I'm out. I would like to ask for information about pumping and the proper storage of breast milk. Thank you!

Dear Mom Me,

I just wanted to clarify - do you mean you will be leaving your baby at home with someone and you want to leave expressed breastmilk for this person to feed to your baby? Or were you thinking about feeding your baby expressed breastmilk whilst you were out and about?

Also, on this topic, I have found that a sling has been invaluable with enabling me to get out and about and get some errands done whilst keeping my baby close to me. I have also been able to breastfeed with my baby in the sling. I don't know if this is something you have considered?

In terms of storing breastmilk, this article clearly explains the current breastmilk storage recommendations. You can safely keep expressed breastmilk:

- at room temperature for 8-10 hours
    - in the fridge for 8 days (it is best stored at the back of the fridge)
    - in the freezer for 3-12 months depending on the type of freezer and how often the freezer door is opened (this is clarified in the article I have linked to)

Milk storage bags are excellent for storing your breastmilk in. Alternatively, you can use a plastic container in the fridge or a glass container in the freezer.

The expressed breastmilk needs to be gently shaken before given to the baby because it will separate into the hindmilk and foremilk layers.

Has your baby had any expressed breastmilk to date or only milk straight from the breast? It is best to wait until breastfeeding is firmly established (which tends to be between 8 and 12 weeks) before giving your baby any artificial teats such as a bottle as it can lead to 'nipple confusion' (and cause the baby problems with latching on). You can buy bottles which are specially designed for breastfeeding mums and closer simulate breastfeeding than a usual bottle.

Please do post back any further questions you have about this.

Best wishes,
    LJ
    Last edited by ljmarsden; 10th February 2014 at 05:58 AM.

I am interested to help you by giving ans...i am a doctor....can you please more explain your question?