Hybrid View

How can I make my toddler drink breastmilk and go back to breasfeeding?

I have two boys, one is 2 years old and the other one is 2 months old. I'm currently exclusively breastfeeding my 2 month old. Now that I have a good enough supply of breastmilk, I'd like to know if it is possible to breastfeed my older son again. How can I make my toddler like the taste of breastmilk and go back to breastfeeding?

That's awesome you are able to nurse your new baby and all is going well.
    Have you offered breast milk in a sippy cup to your toddler?
    Does your toddler seem interesting in nursing, mentioned he would like to try to latch on?
    I suggest offering pump or expressed milk in a sippy cup to your son and see his reaction. Make sure its room temperature or maybe even try warming it a bit. Or you may find that he likes it cold.

When was the last time he latched on?
    Go with your sons lead, ask him if he wants to nurse and give him the chance to smell your breasts and latch on. Maybe after the baby has fed you and your son can spend some quiet time figuring it out again.
    Another thought is to take a bath with the toddler and see what happens.
    Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns. I'm sure with some gentle encouragement he will take milk in a cup and possibly re-latch again.

Hi sunnymumof5! Thank you so much for replying. I stopped breast feeding my toddler when he was 8 months old. He seems interested with breast feeding when I'm nursing the baby but when I asked him if he wanted to try drinking milk from mommy's breast, he said "no". I think he's just curious with how baby gets his milk. So I guess re-latch will not be possible now.

I also tried offering breast milk in a sippy cup but he doesn't seem to like it. I'm thinking if it's alright to mix breast milk with regular milk? I plan on introducing breast milk to him by mixing it to his milk. Initially putting small amount of breast milk in it then gradually adding more until the time that he'll be drinking pure breast milk.
    Last edited by Mom Me; 4th February 2014 at 09:15 AM.

Could you let him watch you express some milk into a cup for him, maybe a few sips and see how that goes? I think it would be ok to mix breast milk with some chocolate powder or in a smoothie with fruit.

I like your idea of adding half and half and then gradually offering more breast milk.
    I assume you are pumping as well.

I applaud your efforts to get breast milk into your toddler. It will help with his immune system.

blessings

Quote Originally Posted by sunnymumof5 View Post
    Could you let him watch you express some milk into a cup for him, maybe a few sips and see how that goes? I think it would be ok to mix breast milk with some chocolate powder or in a smoothie with fruit.

I like your idea of adding half and half and then gradually offering more breast milk.
    I assume you are pumping as well.

I applaud your efforts to get breast milk into your toddler. It will help with his immune system.

blessings

Hi sunnymumof5!

Thank you so much for your reply!

Yes, I pump milk too. My toddler watches me when I pump. He is so curious! I would offer the milk to him but he doesn't like to drink it when he sees where it came from. That's why I thought I should mix it with his milk. Mixing the breast milk with a smoothie with fruit is a great idea!

Thank you for being supportive of my efforts to make my toddler drink breast milk. I know it would be good to him.

Dear mom me,

I see you have had some wonderful advice from sunnymumof5 above

You may want to try some of these fun breastmilk recipes.

I also would like to congratulate your commitment to helping your two year old try some breastmilk again; it really is great stuff for two year olds as well as babies.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Quote Originally Posted by ljmarsden View Post
    Dear mom me,

I see you have had some wonderful advice from sunnymumof5 above

You may want to try some of these fun breastmilk recipes.

I also would like to congratulate your commitment to helping your two year old try some breastmilk again; it really is great stuff for two year olds as well as babies.

Warm wishes,
    LJ
    Hi, LJ!

Yes, I'm getting some great advice from sunnymumof5.

I'm excited to try those breastmilk recipes. They look really fun! It's interesting that breast milk can be used as ingredient for these great recipes.

Thank you so much LJ! I really want to extend the benefits of breast milk to my toddler.

Best Regards,
    Mom Me

Hi Mom Me,

You've had some great suggestions from SunnyMumOf5 and LJ!

I, too, found the link to breastmilk recipes interesting. I would encourage you to use breastmilk raw or slightly warmed whenever possible because when you heat milk, you destroy many of the beneficial enzymes and lowers the nutritional value.

If your 2 year old likes popsicles you could blend breastmilk with banana and any other fruit he likes (strawberries, blueberries, peaches, mango, etc.) in a blender and pour that mixture into popsicle molds. If making ice pops using paper cups, insert the wooden sticks after the pops are firm enough to hold the sticks upright, at least 1 hour, depending on the size of the cups.

Kate