Hybrid View

Administrator

Bleeding in early pregnancy

One of the most visited pages in my website is the one talking about Bleeding in Early Pregnancy (to see this page visit here). Around one quarter of women experience bleeding in early pregnancy and while most will continue their pregnancy to full term - the experience can be quite scary. With one of my pregnancies I had some bleeding and I had this ominous feeling and didn't quite know what to do next. I was lucky as I had a wonderful supportive midwife who guided me. What has been your experience and what would share with others to help them if they experience bleeding in early pregnancy.
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

Administrator

Continued bleeding

Kate asked this question:
    Hi, I'm 7.5 weeks pregnant and have had bleeding (only when I wipe) for 5 days now. I had an u/s and it showed a heartbeat! I'm not sure what the risk of the continued bleeding is and if I should be resting or going back to work? Any advice appreciated!

Can you offer Kate any advise? Have you had a similar experience? What did you do?

Seeing a heart rate on ultrasound is very reassuring - the likelihood that the pregnancy will continue is higher. If the bleeding you are experiencing is brown - it is old blood and the pregnancy more likely to continue. If the bleeding is bright red it is more concerning. Rest has not been found helpful in avoiding miscarriage. It's advisable to talk to your midwife or doctor about whether or not to return to work.
    Hidden Content

I do feel badly for anyone that has experienced bleeding during pregnancy, as it can be very scary. I am sorry to hear about the bleeding that Kate experienced. I do agree that seeing a heartbeat is a good sign. I know she probably has an answer by now, but I do hope that everything is well with her.

I did have very slight bleeding with my second pregnancy. I did go in for an ultrasound and all that was seen was an empty sac. It was heartbreaking and overwhelming. We did not find out for sure for about two weeks whether the pregnancy was viable or not, but we were overjoyed to discover that the baby was fine.

I know how scary it can be, but all you can really do is wait. I prayed and hoped that things would be OK, but I also knew that sometimes miscarriages occur because there is some type of chromosomal or fetal abnormality. I knew that there was not much I could do to prevent the miscarriage. I think a miscarriage is very hard for any couple to go through, and having support is important. I think the best thing to do is to surround yourself with support, and get help from a midwife or doctor as soon as possible, so you can have an ultrasound and determine what the cause of the bleeding is.

I have experienced early bleeding that turned out to be nothing and I have also experienced two early miscarriages. The miscarriages were only briefly light, quickly becoming much clumpier (for lack of a better term). With my second miscarriage, which was around 10 weeks, I also experienced pretty significant cramping.

Now, with two of my full-term pregnancies I experienced early bleeding that turned out to be nothing of concern. As a doula, I have found that some women seem to have particularly sensitive cervix. They will spot after an exam or even routine sex. For others, this just isn't so. I've even known women who had rather substantial bleeding that turned out to simply be normal for them, whatever the reason.

I guess what I am saying is, do not worry until you know you have something to worry about. There are a million variations of normal and sometimes bleeding is just that, often without any serious cause. However, any woman who is experiencing bleeding definitely needs to go get it checked out. Ultrasounds can be so reassuring at times like this.

Oh wow that is scary. I have not experienced it myself at all. I have to say that it is sad when a woman does. I mean so much can happen and it is not pretty at all. I hope that whom ever experienced this is okay and everything goes well. There are so many things I never experienced or seen, so I am not sure about a lot of things. Yes I have heard that some bleeding can be nothing, but you never know.

I had bleeding in early pregnancy, it happened one time at 13 weeks, was bright red blood and was so scary! I called my nurse who said I might be miscarrying one or both babies. I was so upset I called my doctor and requested an ultrasound immediately. I had trouble conceiving and had 2 early miscarrages so I was very afraid of something bad happening. They did do the ultrasound that day and thankfully it showed two healthy babies! We were even able to find out that we were expecting two boys

I had placenta previa early on but it had resolved itself, so I'm not sure if that is what caused the bleeding? I never found out and it never happened again. I was very thankful that everything turned out okay because it was one of the scariest moments of my pregnancy.

Hello

I too have experienced bleeding in my pregnancy. This is my second time being pregnant, the first I lost at 9 weeks due to a blighted ovum. So I have been very anxious about this one.

I have had bleeding twice in this one. One at week four, the other a week after and I got ultra sounds done to make sure. The first ultra sound only showed a sac because it was so early in the pregnancy. The second a week after showed just a little blob inside of the sac. The doctor kept writing no fetal pole on his report. Which I tried to read and it made no since did some web search to find out what that meant but I decided it was probably not helping my situation. After the second bleed I was read to go to the Doctor again but I decided to rest and try not to stress myself.

Two weeks after I went to my Obstetrician when he turned on the ultra sound machine I stopped breathing and prayed that there was something there a heart beat. My first pregnancy there was no heart beat. When he turned the machine around and showed me my baby with its heart beating away tears settled in my eyes. I was so happy and to see how it grew from just a sac to a blob inside the sack to a shape with a heart beat was overwhelming.

I have decided to not think about the negative nor accept it but take it one day at a time with God at my side always.

Tina

My question is what causes this bleeding and is it something that has to happen or something that the needs to come out otherwise it would harm the baby?

Administrator
    Hi TinaNicola - Bleeding is not something that has to happen. Slight bleeding around the time the baby is implanting in the wall of the uterus is known as implantation bleeding and is reasonably common. Which may of been what your bleeding was. While bleeding can be the first sign of a miscarriage many women experience bleeding in early pregnancy and then have a normal healthy pregnancy.
    Hidden Content

Hi aussiemidwife

Thank you for your response.

Tina

Hi im 9 weeks 5 days pregnant had an early ultra scan at 6 weeks and a heartbeat was seen but now ive found out ive got thrush im useing a cream for this but ive started to bleed a brownish blood im really scared i could be misscarrying 😢

Dear lynds,

I'm sorry to hear about your concerns.

A heartbeat at an early ultrasound when you are bleeding is very reassuring. 80% of women who are bleeding but have a heartbeat at an ultrasound go on to have a full term baby.

The thrush should not have any impact on your bleeding although I know it can be uncomfortable.

Most miscarriages are characterised by bright red bleeding and abdominal cramps (sometimes back cramps too). Brown blood is usually old blood so this is normally ok. However, if the blood becomes more heavy and is bright red then it is unfortunately more likely to be a miscarriage.

Please try to take hope in the fact that 25% of normal pregnancies involve some sort of vaginal bleeding. However, that said any bleeding in pregnancy should be investigated. You should speak to your midwife or doctor, if it is just a little brown blood when you wipe they may just ask you to wait and see what happens. Or they may feel another ultrasound scan is called for to check what is happening and hopefully reassure you.

I really feel for you. I know how concerning it can be when you bleed at all in the first trimester.

Let me know how you get on and if we can help you further.
    Thinking of you,
    LJ

Hi thanks for your reply i went for a scan this morning and i should be 9 weeks but they said im only measuring 7 weeks, they could see a faint heartbeat and ive got to have another scan next week but by the measurements they have taken today it doesnt look like its going well so just got to wait now for next week if i dont misscarry in the meantime 😢😢

I'm so sorry to hear this lynds. How is the bleeding?

Sometimes measurements can be anomalous but there is not much you can do then just wait a week and have another scan. I know it is so hard waiting.

Thinking of you,
    LJ

Hi the bleeding is like a period now but im not filling a pad yet and i have no pains or cramps so its just a waiting game its so hard not knowing whats going to happen and trying to get my head round it, thank you so much for your kind words 😊

I'm sorry it is such a difficult time for you. I really hope you have good news in a week.

Take care and stay in touch,
    LJ