Breastfeeding stopped at 5 months

Hello,

My baby stopped breastfeeding when she was 5 months old and now she's 1 yr old & 5 months already. I know how important breastfeeding is, but does it affect my baby's development because she stopped early?
    Last edited by phoenix13; 14th February 2014 at 12:14 AM.

Great question phoenix13,

I applaud you for breastfeeding your baby for the first 5 months of her life.
    Breast milk is best for babies, however any amount of breast milk a baby gets is very beneficial to that child.
    The first few months of breastfeeding are the most important times in a babies life to get breast milk. Research states that, babies who have been breastfed exclusively for at least three months had enhanced development in key parts of the brain compared to children who were fed formula exclusively or who were fed a combination of formula and breast milk.
    Numerous studies from around the world have also shown that stomach viruses, lower respiratory illnesses, ear infections, and meningitis occur less often in breastfed babies and are less severe when they do happen. Exclusive breastfeeding for at least six months seems to offer the most protection.
    High five to you for giving your baby breast milk for as long as you did.
    You gave her a head start in cognitive brain development as well as a healthy start to a growing immune system.
    Breast feeding is so important to mothers and babies in so many aspects, I m very excited you gave your baby a head start.

Thanks sunnymumof5! I thought 5 months isn't enough but at least I was able to breastfed her. I hope she continues to grow healthy and strong.

Dear phoenix13,

I agree that these 5 months of breastfeeding should be celebrated.

Breastmilk does continue to benefit children to 2 years of age and beyond, however, any amount of breastmilk is highly beneficial nutritionally, emotionally, socially and developmentally. It is in the first 6 months of life that breastmilk provides the very greatest advantages to babies so you should feel proud of your breastfeeding time with your daughter.

Warm wishes,
    LJ