Thread: Breast Sagging

Breast Sagging

My breast was 36 before getting pregnant. Now it is 40-42 and it is sagging... And I'm not that comfortable on wearing bra with wire. And when I'm at home, I also don't like to wear a bra.

"Is there a way to prevent breast sagging, or do I need to wear a bra all the time? And what kind of bra is best to use?"

By the way, I am still breastfeeding my daughter.

Dear singlemom,

There are a number of causes for breasts 'sagging'. One is simply due to age; unfortunately as we all get older the breast tissue will lose some of its elasticity. Being pregnant (and the changes in breasts that this causes) also makes it more likely that your breasts will change appearance, even after pregnancy.

It is best to wear a bra all the time in the daytime. Do you have a 'nursing bra'; these tend to be easier to breastfeed in? Many breastfeeding mums (who are feeding in the night) also wear a nursing bra at night-time, although this is a personal preference.

Using a good moisturiser on your breasts each day (preferably after a shower or bath) can help to keep your breast's shape for longer. Doing muscle-building exercises also helps with this. Women who have a healthy, stable weight are less likely to feel that their breasts are sagging. If you need to lose weight then it is best to do this gradually.

I hope this helps you.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

p.s. There is no evidence that breastfeeding affects the shape of the breast - it is pregnancy which is believed to do this (regardless or not of whether a woman breastfeeds).

Dear LJ,

Thank you very much for your answer.

Yes. I have two nursing bra. So I think I have to buy another one or two.

And I also need to loose weight. I am now 160 pounds from 110 pounds.

I would like to ask on "What kind of muscle-building exercises will help to shape-up the breast and prevent it from sagging?"

Thank you so much for your great help.

Sincerely,
    Singlemom

Hi singlemom,

Yes you may need a couple more nursing bras

Actually, weight-lifting and exercises with weight machines are best. It is recommended that you build these up gradually if you have not undertaken this kind of exercise before. Swimming is another exercise which can help with maintaining the appearance of your breasts. Again, losing weight gradually is best.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Hello LJ,

Thank you once again for your help.

I'll start muscle-building exercises today. And I'll start loving myself...
    It seems that I've already forgotten about myself and my looks.

Sincerely,
    singlemom

Dear singlemom,

Indeed! You are a mum and that is wonderful but you are still an individual; you need to give yourself time, respect and care. After all, this is the message you also want to model to your children. Do you have any family members or friends who could help you out every so often so that you can have a bit of 'me time'? I know, from experience, it's hard to prioritise yourself but it is important

Best wishes,
    LJ