Hybrid View

elective c sect as public patient ? any past success stories or advice

Hi all, I will try and keep this as brief as possible - basically I am currently pregnant with baby #3 and am absolutely petrified so much so I havent even seen my gp yet because I don't think I know how to approach it. My first Labour was excessively long and painful waters broken and induced due to meconium in the waters - healthy 7 lbs 9
    oz baby - everyone told me second one is easier don't stress Labour will be halved in time etc after dealing with painfully separated abdomen for the latter part of my pregnancy went in to Labour had to have my waters broken again with meconium and then induced 17 hours after being induced pushed for 2 and a bit hours to then have a force delivery with a 9th 14oz baby boy physio for 6 months after birth as my muscle had separated off my pelvis and my hip which made it incredibly hard to look after a 2 year old and new born that was close to 5 km at birth, the pain and struggle still brings me to tears I was not expecting to have another baby soon and I am really freaking out... Is there any possibility of an elective c sect in Melbourne?
    Last edited by mumaDee; 5th February 2014 at 02:27 PM.

hugs mumaDee.....have you consulted with a midwife?
    I highly suggest that you have a consultation with one....sounds like you have been through a lot of stress during your pregnancies and birth's.
    I've found that a midwife is much more understanding to mums who have had struggles with labor.
    I completely understand your desire to have a elected section.
    I hope that you can come to a peace with your up coming birth.
    Sending positive birth vibes to you and your little one.
    Blessings

Administrator
    I am sorry you had such horrible births. I agree with the previous post - can you consult a midwife to go over what happened in your previous births and help you plan for this one? Having information and support will help you understand your options fully. I am trying to work out what injury/condition you required physiotherapy for. Did they tell you a name? Was it from the birth or pregnancy? From the information you've provided it doesn't sound likely that the birth caused your issues.
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

Thank you both for your replies, I am not sure as to what the physio was calling it but basically once she saw my limited movement and had a little fiddle around in my back told me everything had come away from where it was meant to have been and then noted that it must have been a forcep delivery - this is where my assumption that it had come from birth came from. In regard to talking to a midwife no I have not done this as yet - at my 6 week check up with my ob/gyn she looked over the birth details and told me to just stop having kids coz i wasn't very good at it

Dear mumaDee,

I'm really sorry to hear that your births were traumatic and that you were not supported better by your doctor at your 6 week check.

I also wanted to clarify, with your first birth you say you were induced due to meconium in the waters but also that you waters were broken. So were you going to be induced anyway - was the first step the hospital breaking your waters?

I want you to know that you have my thoughts and also that birth does not have to be scary and traumatic. A few points stand out to me from your post. The first is that you were induced on both occasions. As I've mentioned above, it would be helpful to know a bit more about why this decision was made. Unfortunately women don't always feel that they have a choice as to whether or not to be induced but they do.

Labours which are induced are more likely to be experienced as painful and traumatic by women and are more likely to lead to medical interventions (such as an assisted forceps delivery). When a labour starts naturally, the hormone Oxytocin is present (the 'feel good hormone') and the cervix will start to open more and more (dilate). In an induction synthetic hormones are used and manually adjusted. In many cases with induction, the woman is unable to find her own space and 'turn off' the subconscious part of her brain and go deeply within herself breathing through the contractions.

Another point which I feel is relevant to your post is the role of fear in labour. Unfortunately, when we are scared and our bodies tense up it is more difficult for the contractions to work efficiently. This also makes it more likely that the contractions will be experienced as pain. Being induced (which will be in a hospital environment) can be an unfamiliar and scary environment (although it doesn't have to be with the right support and knowledge). Waterbirths are also not possible if a woman is on a drip and so the many advantages of these are unavailable.

As a side note, in terms of meconium in the waters this 2011 midwifery journal entry is very interesting on meconium in the waters. Note that it does not necessarily mean that the labour should be induced. Also interestingly in light of what you describe, some sources state that artificially breaking the waters itself makes meconium production in the waters more likely.

I also wanted to share my personal experience of birth with you. The birth of my first son was natural but a long (31 hour) and very traumatic experience for me after which I suffered from post traumatic stress. In fact, the day after he was born I could be found googling elective c-sections on my phone! In the months that followed his birth I cried and panicked at any mention of birth, alongside knowing my longing to have more children.

When we found out we were pregnant again 15 months later I had already started my research. A midwife friend of mine had suggested hypnobirthing and I had also been researching the many benefits of having a doula. We found a wonderful supportive and friendly doula who has taught hypnobirthing. My community midwife was extremely supportive of it. The birth of my second son was a positive, empowering and special experience. I never thought I would say that about birth but being well-informed and supported by the right people (as well as armed with knowledge of research) meant all the difference for me.

I know how it feels to be petrified of birth. My thoughts are with you. But it doesn't have to be like that. Birth (be it natural or not, with pain relief or not, a hospital birth or a home birth etc) can be positive. I hope you are able to find a doula, midwife and antenatal support group who can help you every step of the way. We are also here to support you on this forum.

Warm wishes,
    LJ
    Last edited by ljmarsden; 11th February 2014 at 07:44 AM.

With my first born I had been in discomfort for 2 days but was not progressing they then decided to break my waters and induce me. As you mention the contractions once induced are no fun at all, so with my second born once they decided it was necessary to break my waters I fought off being induced for a few hours after that but they had to in the end as once again my Labour stalled. I did not go into my second birth Ill informed nor will I with this one - however I feel like the vibe is that I haven't done my research when I have and the question was has anyone had an elective c sect in public hospital

You sound well-researched to me. I hope you will also be well-supported in your next birth. Again, I am sorry to hear of your previous painful labours.

Can any of our forum members help - have you had an elective c-section in a public hospital?

Have you come across the my birth online resource which focusses on knowing your rights in pregnancy and birth?

Best wishes,
    LJ