Does existing depression make it more likely to have postnatal depression?

I am not pregnant yet but postnatal depression is something that worries me. I have a history of depression that I have been able to control without drugs mainly by diet and exercise but i still have days where I don't want to get out bed. Does this make me more of a risk for postnatal depression?

Dear Campbell,

Thank you for your question.

I'm afraid to say that a history of any type of depression does mean that you are more likely to suffer from postnatal depression, however, it does not mean that you definitely will. It would be wise to talk to your doctor about this when you become pregnant. Then you can have some support in place ready in-case you do experience postnatal depression. In some cases (where depression has been severe in the past), your doctor can prescribe you medication for postnatal depression when you are still in pregnancy i.e. as a precaution.

It's really important to have a good support network around you when you have a new baby - and this is even more the case if you suffer from any form of depression. It's good to hear that you are planning a healthy, balanced diet and also exercising regularly as this will reduce your chances of suffering from postnatal depression.

Please note that there are some forms of antidepressants that you can take whilst breastfeeding. If it comes to this decision then you do not need to choose between breastfeeding and antidepressants.

With warm wishes,
    LJ

Thank you for your informative response to my question.

You are very welcome. I think you are doing the right thing to start considering this now. I hope you have excellent support (from family, friends and medical staff) when you do become pregnant.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Sorry about posting the same question twice. It disappeared on me when I was inputting so I didn't think it had gone through.

No worries at all