Hybrid View

Breech Baby Help

Hello
    I am 32 weeks on Saturday and was yesterday told by my obstetrician that my baby is still breech. It has been for the last 3 or 4 times I have seen him.

I asked him about breech birth and although he is not totally against it and said he used to perform a lot in the past a c-section is safer.

Although I trust him and know that he encourages natural birth when he can I wonder if you consider c-section the best option? I would be open to trying breech birth but want to put my baby's health and safety first. I will also be having a scan at 34 weeks to check where my placenta is. It was previously low lying and my obstetrician thinks that might be why my baby is having trouble turning around.

Any advice or information you have in this regard would be very helpful. I am happy to have a c-section if that is what is medically required but would like to know if you consider there are other better options.

Many thanks

Administrator
    Welcome to the forum Amyderbyshire - It is not uncommon for babies to present in the breech position at 32 weeks of pregnancy. Many babies breech at 32 weeks are head down by the time they are full term. Only 3-4% remain breech. I have put a lot of information on the breech birth web page - which you should find helpful. Acupuncturists often recommend starting acupuncture and moxibustion treatment at 32 weeks to encourage babies head down.

Certainly for a full term baby, that isn't greater than 4kg and is found to be in a good position (not a complicated breech position) a vaginal birth is an option so long as your doctor is skilled in breech birth. There was a trial called the term breech trial (that was quite a flawed study) that stopped many doctors from continuing to attend vaginal breech birth so many doctors (and midwives) have lost the skill in attending vaginal breech birth.

I personally have given birth vaginally to a breech baby and would happily do so again. What are other peoples thoughts?
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

I was pleased to see Jane's link to the Moxibustion page because earlier today I was watching a video showing exactly how Moxibustion is used on a mom who has a breech baby. You can see this video below.

My acupuncturist sent me home with a moxibustion stick so that I could do it on myself each day. She marked the places on my skin with an indelible marker so I'd know just where to apply the heat (you don't touch it to your skin, you hold it above your skin). This video is very good and shows you how Moxibustion is done.