Is there any chance to give birth after cesarean section through normal delivery?

I'm a young mum and i gave birth through cesarean section is there any possibilities i can still deliver a baby through vaginal birth?

Dear gelizaire,

Thank you for your interesting question.

Yes there certainly is a good chance of having a vaginal birth after a previous c-section (this is known as a VBAC). In women who try for a VBAC, there is around a 75% success rate in women who do end up having a vaginal birth (after at least one previous c-section). You have a better chance of having a VBAC if you have a natural labour rather than being induced.

Please could I ask why the midwives and doctors advised you had a c-section in your last labour? I hope you are recovering well from this and that it was a positive experience.

There is a small risk of the uterine scar rupturing with a VBAC. This risk is thought to be under 0.5%. If it was evident that the scar was going to rupture when you were in labour then you could then have an emergency c-section.

There are lots more resources on VBACs here.

Some of the members of our forum have successfully had a VBAC. With the right support and information this is certainly possible and gives you and your baby the best chance of a low intervention labour.

Please do post back any further questions you have about VBACs here.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Dear gelizaire,

How are you?

You may also like to have a look at this incredible video of one woman's journey to a VBAC (have your tissues ready - it's emotional!).

Warm wishes,
    LJ