Hybrid View

Can a 5 months old baby eat some vegetables?would that be okay?

Would that be okay if i let my baby eat at 5 months old age?

Hi gelizaire,

The World Health Organisation (WHO) recommend that a baby is exclusively breastfed for the first 6 months of life. This means that what is best for baby (nutritionally, developmentally, emotionally and socially) is to have only breastmilk - no other food or water is necessary. From 6 months of age other food can be offered alongside the breastmilk (breastfeeding is recommended to two years of age and beyond). If you are not breastfeeding then it is recommended to give your baby only their formula milk for the first 6 months of life.

A baby needs to be developmentally ready before they start being offered food. For example, they should be reaching out for food and be capable of grabbing items of food as well as being capable of sitting unaided. Some babies are not, in fact, ready for food until they are closer to 7 months.

Once your baby is 6 months and is showing signs of being developmentally ready for food, then vegetables are an excellent type of food to offer alongside their milk. Have you heard of baby led weaning? This is where you forget the mush (i.e. no purees) and instead offer your baby healthy solid food at meal times. When your baby is between 6 and 12 months of age it is best that they are not hungry at meal-times; milk is still their main source of nutrients by far at this age. Some great foods to offer your baby are: vegetable sticks (steamed and cooled), steamed chicken, avocado chunks, tomato pieces, orange segments, bread etc

Please do post back any further questions you have about this topic here.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Hi thank you for your answer it helps me a lot

I'm glad this was helpful gelizaire.

There are some good recipe ideas for babies and children (which could equally be delicious for adults!) at the baby led weaning recipe website.

Best wishes,
    LJ