Is it okay if my baby do breastfeeding to other mum?

My friend used to breastfeed my baby.is it okay?

What a great question about what some would call "Wet Nursing."
    My husband remembers his mother and aunt switching babies and nursing them when he was a young child, he is also from Latin America.
    Every country and mother for that matter has their own comfort level when it comes to wet nursing.

The decision to allow another mum to nurse your baby is completely up to you and how comfortable you are with the other mother's lifestyle and health choices.

To enable mothers to establish and sustain exclusive breastfeeding for six months, WHO and UNICEF recommend:

Initiation of breastfeeding within the first hour of life

Exclusive breastfeeding –that is, the infant only receives breastmilk (including milk expressed or from a wet nurse) without any additional food or drink or water

Breastfeeding on demand –that is, as often as the child wants, day and night

No use of bottles, teats or pacifiers

According to 2 major authorities on human breastmilk, wet nursing is encouraged among mothers so that a baby is provided with the most valuable milk available.

Id say gelizaire, that if you are comfortable with a friend nursing your baby then continue with what your already doing.

Dear gelizaire,

Have a look at this information from La Leche League on wet nursing. Whilst this can give a baby the wonderful benefits of breastmilk when a mother's milk is unavailable it comes with associated risks. In particular, it is possible for the wet nurse to be an HIV carrier without even knowing about this and so transmit this to the baby. La Leche League recommend that the mother who will breastfeed the baby is screened for these diseases: tuberculosis, syphilis, hepatitis-associated antigen, cytomegalovirus, herpes virus, HIV and other infectious agents.

Another issue is that the breastfeeding woman needs to have a child of a similar age to the other mum's child in order for the breastmilk to have the right nutritious content for the baby.

I think, like La Leche League state, that these issues (health screening and a similar aged child) need to be in place before wet nursing occurs. If it is done safely then it can be a wonderful gift.

Best wishes,
    LJ