Hybrid View

Breastfeeding in Pregnancy

Have you breastfed whilst being pregnant? Did you notice any difference in the breastfeeding relationship between you and your child during this time? Were there any noticeable changes to your breastmilk?

It is safe to breastfeed in pregnancy (for by far the majority of pregnancies). Mums should feels reassured that there is no reliable research to show that breastfeeding can cause a miscarriage or any problems with the growing baby inside her. Breastfeeding can provide a wonderful way to bond and nourish your older child whilst you are looking forward to the birth of your next baby. It also provides mum with a time to stop and sit down during a busy day entertaining a toddler. Indeed, it is important to take care of yourself in pregnancy.

A healthy, balanced diet is particularly important if you are pregnant and breastfeeding. It is recommended that you take folic acid supplements
    (at least in the first trimester of pregnancy) and it is also a good idea to consider taking Calcium and vitamin D supplements.

Breastfeeding in pregnancy is not without its challenges. When morning sickness strikes and you have a keen nursling at the breast it can be difficult, particularly if said nursling is 'dream feeding'. You may find it helpful to have snacks nearby, even in the night, to help you with any morning sickness; many women find that ginger products help them to feel less sick.

Some women also find that their breasts and nipples become more sensitive in pregnancy. Take heart that this sensitivity usually decreases after the first trimester. You may find that you need to stop your toddler from playing with your other nipple/ breast whilst they feed due to this increased sensitivity. A 'fiddle necklace' can be helpful with this. It is fine to introduce some gentle breastfeeding rules to your toddler if this helps you to feel more comfortable.

Another issue which can arise when breastfeeding in pregnancy is a reduced milk supply. Some pregnant breastfeeding mums notice that their breasts feel less full at times when they previously would have been aware of their breasts being full (such as first thing in the morning). The best way to successfully breastfeed throughout pregnancy is to keep allowing your child to be at the breast whenever they show signs that they want to. This is because breastmilk works on a supply and demand basis. You can also eat certain foods to help with your breastmilk supply including oats and seaweed. If you find that your breastmilk supply is reduced somewhat then you may also find that your toddler starts eating more solid food at the same time. Go with this and offer them as much healthy solid food as they like. If your toddler is also drinking cows milk (i.e. if they are over 1 year old) then they may also ask for more of this. If you follow their lead as well as doing the above to help maintain your breastmilk supply then you should be able to happily continue breastfeeding.

Remember that breastfeeding peer support groups, breastfeeding helplines and lactation consultants are not just for mums breastfeeding newborn babies. Some mums find they need some more breastfeeding support at this time; it can really help to talk to someone who has been there.

A woman's body is incredible at both nourishing a toddler (or older child) and growing a brand new life. This is perfectly within its capabilities (for by far the majority of women). It can take some adapting to and some flexibility on mum and toddlers part; but the rewards are great. Not only can you continue with the immense benefits of breastfeeding throughout pregnant; you can also look forward to tandem breastfeeding and the incredible bonding journey for three that this is.
    Last edited by ljmarsden; 22nd February 2014 at 06:18 AM.

Breastfeeding during pregnancy is totally safe ...i am totally agree with you....I already read some feature about breast feeding ....I didn't get any information about its bad effect.

I've breastfed through 2 pregnancies and have thoroughly enjoyed being able to comfort my toddler through a difficult transition.
    I do remember having very sensitive nipples at certain points through out my pregnancies. However I continued to nursing along and the sensitivity finally subsided.
    I also agree with the OP that tandem nursing created an amazing bond between my children and myself.
    My youngest is now almost 3years old and our 5year old is almost weaned, he will ask to nurse once every few days.
    If any mum has the opportunity to tandem nurse I highly suggest she continue through her pregnancy and till her older child self weans. Tandem nursing is an amazing journey.
    Blessings

Thank you sunnymumof5 - this is really encouraging