Hybrid View

Question best turn around time to feed solids for 1 year old baby

Hi everyone! I am Mary, a parent that is really concerned about my 1 year old child's eating habits. Well, my baby whose name is Pauleen, is a very active little girl that is more likely to intake solid foods than milk since her 6th month old up until now.As a concerned parent, I want her to properly eat solid foods correctly. What is the best turn around time to avoid digestion problems and stomach cramps? Thank you for reading and hope to get expert advice to make thing a lot more better!
    Last edited by marypauleen16; 25th February 2014 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marypauleen16 View Post
    Hi everyone! I am Mary, a parent that is really concern about my 1 year old child's eating habits. Well, my baby whose name is Pauleen, is a very active little girl that is more likely to intake solid foods than milk since her 6th month old up to now.Of course, as a concerned parent, I want her to properly take solid foods at the best turn around time so that further problems like stomach cramps will be soon avoided. Thank you for reading and hope to get expert advice to make thing a lot better!
    lol.................................

Quote Originally Posted by ma0941987 View Post
    lol.................................
    yeah. she is really like that.

Dear Mary,

I wonder if you could explain what you mean by 'turn around time'. Do you mean the time for your little girl to chew and swallow the food? If this is the case then what is best is just to be led by your daughter and allow her all the time she needs. We talk a lot about baby led weaning here on this forum. The philosophy (and science actually) behind this form of weaning is just to introduce your baby to healthy pieces of solid food from 6 months, and when she is developmentally ready.

From 12 months, like your daughter, a baby will start to associate eating with relieving hunger. This means that from 12 months you can start offering your baby solid food when she is hungry (from 6-12 months it is best to give your baby breastmilk when they are hungry). A typical meal may include: steamed broccoli, pieces of chicken breast, tomatoes, banana, wholewheat pasta etc. At this age you should also offer your baby around 3 healthy snacks a day.

Milk, preferentially breastmilk, should still be a major source of nutrients to a baby at this age. Actually at 12 months of age a baby can still get over 80% of their nutrients from breastmilk. Between 12 and 24 months this will gradually reduce; at 24 months of age a baby can get around 20% of their nutrients from breastmilk. You need to allow your baby to feed often enough from the breast to allow this and to keep up your breastmilk supply. Breastmilk has an extraordinary make-up including cancer-fighting cells and stem cells.

Does your daughter seem to suffer from stomach cramps or wind? Is she in pain with this? Does this occur more when she eats particular foods? She should eat in a well-supported chair or high-chair to help with her digestion. What would a typical lunch or dinner be like for your daughter currently?

I hope some of this helps and I look forward to hearing back from you.
    Best wishes,
    LJ
    Last edited by ljmarsden; 27th February 2014 at 07:12 AM.

Hello LJ!

Okay. I understood it very well. What you said really helped me, especially the "3 healthy snacks a day" part. I checked out the link "baby led weaning" that also helped me a lot. Thank you so much! I will start to prepare healthy snacks for my baby! I bet you are really an expert!

Kind Regards,
    Mary

Dear Mary,

I'm glad this was helpful for you - do post back if you need any further ideas for snacks/meals for your daughter.

I learn more every day I spend with my children too! I think that's the way parenting is

Warm wishes,
    LJ