Hybrid View

Proper way of introducing lu to a one-year-old baby

Hello fellow forum posters! I am a concerned parent of my baby girl Pauleen. For me, introducing her about using lu is one of the hardest part as she is really a non-stop active girl that is kind of a stubborn. In the market, there are still nappies that suits her pounds but I want her to stop using it as she always do not want to wear one at all. I am looking for people who can lead me to the best way of making her understand the use of potties as soon as possible. Thank you so much!

Dear Mary,

I understand from your other post that your baby girl is one. How many months is she? If she is close to 12 months then this is really too early to start toilet training (unless you had gone down the elimination communication route which most people would start very early at around 5 months although you could consider this for an older baby if you are interested). Girls tend to go 'nappy free' earlier then boys - normally between 2.5 years and 3 years of age (although some can be around 2 years of age). For boys the average is somewhere between 3 and 3.5 years.

A child needs to be developmentally ready to go 'nappy free'. These signs include: your child being interested in you going to the loo, your child knowing when they need to go, your child being happy to sit on the loo or potty.

I have found this article by LR Knost (Little Hearts Parenting) very helpful: 3 Simple Steps from Diaper to Potty. Also this from Martha Sears: 13 Toilet Training Tips.

Gentleness, genuine praise and understanding are all key in potty training but a child must be developmentally ready to start this process.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Hello LJ!

Thank you for spreading your warm thoughts about my concern. I think you are right as my child is exactly 1 year and few days as of today. This might be too early for her and in my instinct, I think she is not ready to use loo because she does not even want to sit there. I will soon read your recommended online articles.

Thank you so much!

Kind Regards,
    Mary

Dear Mary,

You are very welcome.

Yes, as you say above, both because of her young age and not showing signs of being developmentally ready to use the potty or toilet (which is entirely fine and appropriate given your daughter's age!) I think it would be best to wait.

I do hope that you find the articles linked to in my previous post helpful. Please post back if you have any more questions about this.

Best wishes,
    LJ

Hello LJ!

Your statement helped me a lot. I will post as soon as I have other questions.

Thank you so much!

Kind Regards,
    Mary

Hi Mary,

I found that most of my children were ready to potty train closer to 3 years of age, and when I saw all the signs of readiness, they trained in about one day.

I actually preferred keeping them in nappies until they were really ready to use the loo, because it was a lot easier on me to change a diaper, than to clean up accidents. When your child can go from nappy to loo, without accidents (or with very few) then potty training is a very happy experience.

Why do you think that your daughter does not like nappies? Is it that she doesn't lay still during nappy changes, or is it that she takes it off, or ??? If you share why you think your daughter doesn't like nappies, maybe we can give you some suggestions on how to help her learn to like them.

Warm Regards,

Kate

Hi Kate!

I think my daughter does not like nappies because she removes it and she also does not lay still during nappy changing time. I am very interested to hear about your suggestions on how to help my daughter to like nappies.

Thank you so much!

Kind Regards,
    Mary