Hypothyroidism and Pregnancy

Hello, I am a hypothyroid patient. I have been taking my medications regularly but, I wanted to know if hypothyroid can cause a miscarriage as you will not know your pregnant until you have missed your periods?
    Last edited by sonu84; 26th February 2014 at 02:59 AM.

Dear sonu84,

I'm sorry to say that untreated hypothyroidism does significantly increase a woman's chance of miscarriage in the first trimester of pregnancy (some studies show this risk is doubled compared to the normal population). This resource about thyroid awareness explains this in detail.

Is your hypothyroidism controlled by medication?

I'm so sorry to read on your other post that you experienced a miscarriage. My heart goes out to you.

With medication and monitoring many, many women with thyroid problems have healthy babies. You may find this information on pregnancy and thyroid disorders useful.

We are here for you on this forum.

Thinking of you,
    LJ

Hello LJ,

Yes, I have been taking my medication regularly. Hopefully I will have a healthy and a normal pregnancy in future. Thank you so much for taking time out and replying and thanks for the useful links.

Priti.

Dear Priti,

You are welcome - its a pleasure.

I also experienced a miscarriage with my first pregnancy and I found it heartbreaking. I will always remember our loss.

We now have two little boys.

I look forward to reading your other posts and getting to know you better on here.

Thinking of you,
    LJ