MumtoOne

How Do I Help Ease the Transition?

Hello, all,

I was hoping you could provide me with some advice.

My three year old daughter is fully toliet trained at home (and at friends' and relatives' houses). She still wears a nappy when we are out in public. I would like to start having her wear underwear when away from home. How I can I help ease the transition from the toliet at home to public ones?

Thank you

I found it easier to have my children in nappies when we would leave the house for two reasons.

1. Less accidents/less cleaning up.
    2. It was just a lot easier to not have to find a bathroom with a younger child/infant in tow.

However, it looks like you just have your 3 year old, so my second point wouldn't apply.

I'd say that when they are fully potty trailed at home, then you should be able to take her out during the day with no problem. You may have a few accidents at first, being that she is used to being in a nappy when you go out, but this didn't happen with me. If they were fully potty trained at home and they always told me when they needed to go potty at home, then they would tell me when they needed to go potty while we were out.

Is your daughter fully potty trained at home and telling you when she needs to go (or running to the bathroom herself)?

Kate

MumtoOne
    Quote Originally Posted by 5Homebirths4Kate View Post
    I found it easier to have my children in nappies when we would leave the house for two reasons.

1. Less accidents/less cleaning up.
    2. It was just a lot easier to not have to find a bathroom with a younger child/infant in tow.

However, it looks like you just have your 3 year old, so my second point wouldn't apply.

I'd say that when they are fully potty trailed at home, then you should be able to take her out during the day with no problem. You may have a few accidents at first, being that she is used to being in a nappy when you go out, but this didn't happen with me. If they were fully potty trained at home and they always told me when they needed to go potty at home, then they would tell me when they needed to go potty while we were out.

Is your daughter fully potty trained at home and telling you when she needs to go (or running to the bathroom herself)?

Kate
    Thanks, Kate, for the advice.

She runs to the bathroom herself, usually without telling us she needs to go.

Sounds to me like she's ready. Maybe on your first outing, you could have her go potty before you leave (I always do this with my children, even my 7 year old) then ask her if she needs to go potty when you're near a bathroom. If she says "no", then wait another 30 minutes or so, and ask if she needs to go. Always have a nappy in the car for those times when you're not near a bathroom and she says "I need to go!".

Warm regards,

Kate

MumtoOne
    Quote Originally Posted by 5Homebirths4Kate View Post
    Sounds to me like she's ready. Maybe on your first outing, you could have her go potty before you leave (I always do this with my children, even my 7 year old) then ask her if she needs to go potty when you're near a bathroom. If she says "no", then wait another 30 minutes or so, and ask if she needs to go. Always have a nappy in the car for those times when you're not near a bathroom and she says "I need to go!".

Warm regards,

Kate
    Once again, thank you. I already do ask her if she has to go before we leave. It's a habit my mother started with me. Sounds like we're on the right track.