Learning to brush

My son has been 'brushing' his teeth for awhile now, but we want to introduce toothpaste for his teeth. This means he needs to learn how to spit. He must like the toothpaste because he always swallows it. We use barely any,but does anyone have suggestions for teaching him to spit it out??

Dear egamblin,

Thank you for your question.

I think you said in your previous post that your son had just turned two. Actually, dentists advise to use a tiny smear of toothpaste (with a low fluoride content) on a child's toothbrush from the time their first teeth appear. It is expected that babies and toddlers will swallow this tiny smear of toothpaste. In fact many dental associations say that this intake of fluoride helps with building strong bones and teeth. It is best for the parent to brush their child's teeth (for at least two minutes, twice a day) until a child is around 6 and after this time their brushing should be closely supervised.

You may find these Sesame Street teeth cleaning resources helpful.

I hope some of this helps.
    Best wishes,
    LJ

Thanks! We had been giving him some toothpaste without fluoride but recently switched. We have always brushed his teeth and then let him try and do it as well. I will say I don't think we make it to 2 minutes though. That's a long time! Thanks for the link as well.

Coconut oil is a great alternative to fluoride toothpaste. We try to stay clear of fluoride toothpaste and use coconut oil for the little ones instead.
    Great ideas here, Thanks mums!

Two minute timers can make it easier for little ones to understand how long they need to brush for.

I have heard about coconut oil. I might need to see if we can find some. We have a pretty high level of Fluoride in our water anyway. He probably doesn't need anymore.
    And a timer is a great idea! I bet he would enjoy watching the countdown.
    Thanks!