Healthy weight before pregnancy

I am overweight. What is considered a healthy weight before getting pregnant and what can I do to gain a healthy weight?

Dear VannnyBaby,

Thank you for your question.

Yes you are right - it is wise to be at a healthy weight before you get pregnant. This is because being overweight can cause problems in pregnancy (such as gestational diabetes, a higher risk of miscarriage and a risk of the baby being a high birth rate) and labour (birth assisted by forceps and ventouse are more likely in overweight women as is the chance of having a c-section).

A women is considered to be a healthy weight for pregnancy if her Body Mass Index (BMI) is between 19 and 25. Your BMI is a value which tells you if your weight is healthy for your height. You can use this online BMI calculator to work out your BMI.

I know in one of your previous posts you were asking about polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). Is this something you have been diagnosed with? Controlling your weight can be difficult with PCOS but it will help you to get pregnant. I discussed having a healthy diet when you have PCOS in this previous thread which you may find interesting. It would be beneficial for you to exercise regularly (muscle building exercises are particularly good for women who have PCOS). How is your PCOS being managed by your doctor?

The POSAA website (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome Association of Australia) also has lots of information.

Please post back and let me know what you think so that we can support you further with this.
    Warm wishes,
    LJ
    Last edited by ljmarsden; 1st March 2014 at 06:39 AM.

Isn't healthy weight equal your ideal weight? I read somewhere that this is the same thing.
    VannnyBaby, I advise you to get rid of extra weight before getting pregnant. Overweight can be bad both for your health and for your child.

Don't eat too much because it is not good for our health. Exercise everyday a cardiovascular or full body work out can help you to lose weight. You can also do swimming and biking if you want. Avoid stress that leads you to overeat. Don't eat food that is salty, fatty and oily. Have a healthy lifestyle and drink plenty of water every day. I hope this may help you! Good luck!