Hybrid View

Considering trying for another little one!

Hello, I have two boys ages 1 and 3. I had two high risk pregnancies' where I had to go on immediate bed rest for my first pregnancy and my second I had a cerclage done where I had a nurse visit me every week and give me progesterone injections. My husband wants to try for a girl; my mum says I should give my body a rest. Do you think I'm crazy to consider getting pregnant again knowing my history with high risk pregnancy? Will a third one be too much on my body?

Dear Mumof2boys,

I'm sorry to hear that you did not have straightforward pregnancies with your boys. Were you diagnosed as at risk of going into pre-term labour?

I think only you can make this decision. However, I certainly don't think you are crazy for wanting another baby. Even with a history of complicated pregnancy and birth many women go on to have big families. Of course, there are extra considerations and risks to take into account. You also need to have in place a way for you to rest and someone to help with your boys if it is likely that you will need bed rest in your next pregnancy.

It may be wise to make a pre-conception appointment with your health professional (it would be great if this could be the doctor who dealt with, and fully understands, your last pregnancies). Your doctor can then talk through any medical concerns you have.

You may also want to consider what age gap you want between your next two children, in light of giving your body time to recover. On average (not taking into account any special circumstances) it takes the body around 18 months to recover from pregnancy.

Thinking of you,
    LJ

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ljmarsden View Post
    Dear Mumof2boys,

I'm sorry to hear that you did not have straightforward pregnancies with your boys. Were you diagnosed as at risk of going into pre-term labour?

I think only you can make this decision. However, I certainly don't think you are crazy for wanting another baby. Even with a history of complicated pregnancy and birth many women go on to have big families. Of course, there are extra considerations and risks to take into account. You also need to have in place a way for you to rest and someone to help with your boys if it is likely that you will need bed rest in your next pregnancy.

It may be wise to make a pre-conception appointment with your health professional (it would be great if this could be the doctor who dealt with, and fully understands, your last pregnancies). Your doctor can then talk through any medical concerns you have.

You may also want to consider what age gap you want between your next two children, in light of giving your body time to recover. On average (not taking into account any special circumstances) it takes the body around 18 months to recover from pregnancy.

Thinking of you,
    LJ
    LJ,

Thanks, I did not know it took 18 months on average that's great to know. I was diagonsed with high risk pre-term Labour. Maybe another 2-3years we can try for a girl.

Good luck with whatever age gap you decide is best,

LJ