Constipation during pregnancy

I am now 7 months pregnant and during the duration of my pregnancy, I am always constipated. I had been gradually changing my vitamins because I was thinking it might be something to do with my vitamins, I also drink lots of water everyday but still it does not do the trick. I really need help because I donít want my baby inside my tummy to be affected with it. Is there any other ways of preventing from being constipated?

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear you are suffering with constipation in your pregnancy. This is very common and please be reassured that it will not have a negative affect on your growing baby.

You are wise to drink lots of water. Drinking water particularly on an empty stomach can help your bowel movements to become more regular.

Are you taking an iron supplement? These often cause constipation in pregnant women. If so you may want to see your midwife and ask about swapping to a different supplement. This article by our resident midwife Jane on Constipation in Pregnancy explains that liquid iron supplements can be better for avoiding constipation.

Eat plenty of foods which are high in fibre, such as wholewheat foods and fruit and vegetables.

I hope this helps. Please do post back and let us know how you get on.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Hi LJ thank you for the reply. I am starting to eat fruits and foods rich in fiber now. And changing my iron supplement really helps. Now my constipation has lessen. thank you again.

I am glad you are feeling more comfortable.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Thank You.