Hybrid View

VBAC with Gestational Diabetes

I had my son via C-section a week before his due date for two reasons: he was breech, and because I had gestational diabetes that I had difficulty controlling. Based on his ultrasounds, my midwife was worried that he would be too large for a natural birth at 40 weeks. When he was born, though, my son was only 3.4 kg. I would like to try for a VBAC next time around, but if I have gestational diabetes again, is it worth waiting until 40 weeks?

kristenbaker,

I would most certainly make an appointment with a midwife with your next pregnancy early on. Each pregnancy can be so different from the last, to the point where its possible you may not have gestational diabetes again. Id suggest getting a second opinion with another midwife if you have any concerns that are not being fully addressed as well.
    How are you and baby doing now?

s5

Dear Kirsten,

Excellent advice from sunnymumof5 above

I recently came across this VBAC birth story of a lady with diabetes that may interest you.

It can be difficult to predict the size of a baby from ultrasounds and growth measurements. But when a woman has gestational diabetes the medical staff err on the side of caution.

Eating a healthy diet and exercising helps to reduce your chance of getting gestational diabetes next time around.

Best wishes,
    LJ

Thank you to you both! Sunnymum, I appreciate your outlook, and LJ, that story is great!

Ultimately, I can't really complain about my birth experience, because my son was born healthy and we are both doing wonderfully now! I'd rather my health care providers err on the side of caution than be too cavalier, and something actually go amiss. It would just be nice to deliver naturally and with no drugs the way God intended.

Thanks,
    Kirsten