Hybrid View

Is Baby Sleeping Too Much?

My two-month old son seems to be sleeping so much more than usual lately. He has been sleeping 5 hours through the night pretty consistently for the last few weeks, but until recently, he was wide awake for most of the day. Now he's taking 4 or 5 naps during the daytime, each about 2 hours long. He doesn't have a fever or show any other symptoms. Should I be worried?

Dear kristenbaker,

If you are led by your baby and (as far as is possible) allow your baby to sleep/nap whenever he wants to then you can't really go wrong. What is important is the total amount of sleep a baby or toddler gets; rather than how this sleep is distributed. From newborn to 2 months of age a baby should be getting a total of approximately 14 hours a day +/- 4 hours (i.e. there is some variation with this from baby to baby). For the majority of 2 months old this will be around 8 hours at night and 3 naps which total 6-7 hours. It is fine if your baby wants to have 4 or even 5 naps rather than 3.

Sometimes baby's sleep patterns change when they are about to go through a developmental leap/ milestone. However, if you are ever concerned then you should check with your healthcare provider.

I hope this helps you.
    Warm wishes,
    LJ

Thank you, LJ; I was pretty sure it's a growth spurt or something, but it's nice to hear it from someone else too!

You are welcome.

Best wishes to you and your family,
    LJ