Hybrid View

Is it normal for a breastfed baby to not poop regularly?

My two month old is exclusively breastfed, I noticed that her poops is not regular? Like she will poop today, none for two days. I'm deadly worried. Please help.

Hello asiulvenice,

I've had 5 children that were fully breastfed at 2 months of age (actually some were fully breastfed to 8 months of age) and my babies always had multiple poops every day.

If you do some research on the internet, you will find that many mums have babies that are fully breastfed but who don't have a poop for a week or more. Their doctors say it is fine, but I tend to think otherwise.

The body is created to move toxins out of it all throughout the day. One way is by having a bowel movement, which carries the majority of toxins in it. When the bowels are not eliminating regularly, the toxins stay in the body too long and are reabsorbed back into the blood stream This can make baby (or anyone) aggravated, fussy and often times uncomfortable.

My guess is that your baby may not be getting enough breastmilk. I would encourage you to put your baby to the breast every hour and a half to 2 hours, day and night. You might be able to go one 4 hour stretch at night, but other than that, feeding your baby every 2 hours or so should increase your milk supply and get more milk into her.

You will also want to be sure that you are not using a dummy/pacifier, as this can satisfy a baby's need to suck, and can, at times, keep the baby from getting enough milk.

You will also want to be sure baby is staying on the breast long enough and not just nibbling. Try doing breast compressions to help baby get more milk.

I'm including 2 videos for you. The first helps you to know if your baby is getting enough milk. The second shows you how to use compressions to get more milk into your baby.

Here's a video showing how to do compressions to squeeze milk into baby's mouth.

The best rule you can go by, is to put your baby to the breast every time she fusses and make sure she is feeding well.

After reviewing these videos, and reading this post, please reply to let me know if you learned something that you think will be helpful, or if you need more help. How often is your baby breastfeeding during the day and night?

Warm Regards,

Kate

thank you so much miss Kate for the warm reply,the video is a big help, I really appreciate it.. I breastfed her 8 times during the day, and 5 times at night.