What vitamins to take? I'm a breastfeeding mum?

I just gave birth two months ago, I'm exclusively breastfeeding my baby. I feel sometimes that she is not satisfied with my milk? What vitamins I can take to enhance the productivity of my breast-milk?

Dear asiulvenice,

Congratulations on your new baby and on exclusively breastfeeding. There are so many benefits (such as increased immunity, cancer fighting cells for both mum and baby and brain development advantages) to exclusively breastfeeding for 6 months and then continuing to breastfeed alongside solid food from 6 months until 2 years and beyond.

What makes you feel that your daughter is not satisfied with your breastmilk? I know this is a common concern among breastfeeding mums at the beginning. However, nearly all mums (over 95%) will be able to produce enough breastmilk to exclusively breastfeed for the first 6 months of life.

Sometimes a mum may feel she is not producing enough breastmilk because of the frequency at which her baby is feeding. However, please know that it is normal for a baby of this age to feed every 2-3 hours in the day and night.

Another issue which can make a mum feel she is not producing enough milk is when her baby feeds for most of the evening - having one feed pretty much on top of another. This too is normal and is known as 'cluster feeding'.

With a baby aged 6 months and under you should put them to the breast anytime that they show any signs that they want to feed. Sometimes this will be just following another feed and this is fine. What is really important with breastfeeding is that you feed on demand in the day and night. In other words, you feed you baby whenever they display any feeding cues (note that crying is a very late feeding cue and it is best, if possible, if this stage has not been reached). Breastmilk works on a supply and demand basis so the more you put your baby to the breast the more breastmilk will be produced. A baby needs to be put to the breast often enough in order to tell your body to make them enough breastmilk.

The other essential part of breastfeeding is the latch. Do you feel your baby has a good latch? It should be comfortable when you feed. If you are unsure at all then you should get this checked at a breastfeeding support group or by a lactation consultant. A baby needs to have a good latch onto the breast in order to extract milk efficiently from the breast (and so tell the body how much breastmilk to continue to make). Babies who have a tongue tie often struggle to have a good latch which is why the tongue tie being cut (a simple, easy procedure which can even be performed in the home by a lactation consultant) is recommended in these cases.

It is recommended that you take 10 mcg of vitamin D each day when you are breastfeeding. However, this is more to make sure that you are getting everything you need in your diet rather than to increase breastmilk supply.

Oats are a well-advocated food for helping with breastmilk supply. Other foods which may be able to help to increase breastmilk supply are: fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds and lentils. You should also make sure you are drinking plenty of water.

Please do post back and let me know what you think of all of the above and if this does not help then we can make some further suggestions.

Warm wishes,
    LJ