Hybrid View

failed (VBAC) attempt

I just gave birth two months ago to my baby girl. During my pregnancy, on the first trimester to be exact, I already discuss to my OB that I wanted to have a VBAC, she said yes it is possible since its been 7 years since i gave birth to my eldest. And so I am expecting the whole time that I am pregnant that i was going to deliver normally. But when my due date arrive and I was about to gave birth and was already on the operating table, my OB said that it is impossible for me to have a normal delivery because I already run out of water. Now my question is.. Who among here have experience the same thing? I mean expecting to have a VBAC but then again end up to CS delivery again?
    Last edited by asiulvenice; 5th March 2014 at 03:59 PM.

Hi asiulvenice,

Thank you for your post. I'm really sorry that you couldn't have the VBAC that you hoped for.

I'm not sure what your post means when it said you ran out of water? Could you clarify this? Do you mean your waters breaking? This wouldn't be a reason to not have a VBAC so I'm a little perplexed by this.

Over 80% of attempted VBAC are successful. The main risk is of the scar rupturing but this is thought to happen in only 0.5% of cases and a woman would be carefully monitored for this in labour and would then have an emergency c-section if she appeared at risk from this occurring.

Do you think you would like to have more children in the future? Would you consider a VBAC again? It is so important to be well-supported by your medical staff when you are hoping for a VBAC. Whilst a VBAC still isn't possible in every case it is achieved in the majority of cases.

Thinking of you,
    LJ

It's physically impossible to run out of water; the amniotic fluid regenerates itself even after the waters break, because it's made of mucous, the baby's urine etc.

It sounds like your doctor only supports "perfect VBACs" which means he doesn't support VBACs at all - because every birth is different. Birthing on the back, drugs and other interventions increase the risk of a repeat c/section and VBACs are still lower risk than c/sections in most cases. Even women who've never had a c/section are at risk of uterine rupture.

I'd recommend checking out this rebirthing guide: http://www.bellybelly.com.au/post-na...dnt-go-to-plan

And if you do plan another VBAC, get a doula for support and/or a trained midwife who will support you through a safe VBAC, instead of the assumption that it's hugely risky - when in fact this assumption MAKES it more risky.