Hybrid View

How to discipline a toddler without being to harsh?

I have a hard time disciplining my seven year old son, he seems to listen everytime I am trying to explain why he cannot to that or this. But in the end he will still do it without my knowing. I don't know what to do..pls help..?

Dear asiulvenice,

It sounds like you are doing the right thing to me. Children will still want to test the boundaries no matter how much they understand what they can and cannot do.

I wonder if he is behaving inappropriately to get more attention. One excellent theory by L Knost (of Little Hearts Gentle Parenting) is, rather then punishing the bad behaviour, to give a child extra attention in these cases and really try to understand why they are doing things you don't want to do. For example, if you came into a room and your son had emptied the contents of the cupboard onto the floor then sit down with him and say something like 'ah that's a shame all these things are on the floor, shall we read a story together about a messy house and then make up a cleaning up dance'.

Does your son enjoy sports and outside activities? Do you think he has enough opportunities to do these?

I certainly believe that you are right to go down the gentle discipline route. Here is a link to a previous thread on gentle discipline which I hope you will find interesting. With gentle discipline, the focus in on your relationship with your child rather than the behaviour.

Warm wishes,
    LJ