Thread: Kid's Immunity

Kid's Immunity

My kid has very low immunity and always suffers from cough and cold. He has a tendency of getting chest congestion very quickly.
    Every time we treat him with the cold and cough syrup it subsides. Once stopped it again comes back within 7 days.
    We are really worried as we cannot see him suffering any more.
    Can anyone suggest or advise any cure or prevention which can make my 2 and half year old son healthy and fit and improve his immunity.

Hello,

I can really empathise with you as my one year old and three year old frequently have coughs and colds. Unfortunately this is just a normal part of being a toddler (for the majority of cases). Most two year olds will suffer from around 8-10 colds a year.

Good hand hygiene can help to reduce the amount of colds a child has. Eating plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables (particularly vitamin C) can help with immunity. Smoothies are great for this and most kids enjoy making and drinking them.

Does your child ever seem wheezy? Do you have any concerns that he may have asthma? I would see your doctor if so. You should also see your doctor if any cough lasts for more than 2 weeks.

Many parents also find a dehumidifier in their child's bedroom at night-time helps.

Cough and cold syrups are not recommended by doctors for children under 6 years of age (as they could cause allergic reactions or sleep problems). For children over 12 months, you can make them a homemade lemon and honey drink.

I hope some of this helps. Please post back and let us know.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

Hi LJ,

My kid has wheezing problem and doctor has said that if these episodes of wheezing continues then he might get childhood asthma and I am worried about that.

Warm Regards
    Parentingisgreat

Dear Parentingisgreat,

Wheezing is a symptom of asthma. Asthma is a long-term condition. Generally speaking, a child would either have asthma or not (rather than wheezing developing into/changing and becoming asthma).

What can be difficult with childhood asthma is its diagnosis. Most cases of childhood asthma can not really be properly diagnosed until a child is 5 years old (and capable of performing the tests). However, if the child is showing clear symptoms of asthma before this age then they could be treated (with appropriate inhalers as well as prevention measures) as if this diagnosis had been made. There are many childhood illnesses which give similar symptoms to asthma; this is another reason why it is difficult to diagnose in young children.

If you are still concerned then I would go back to your doctor.

Warm wishes,
    LJ