Thread: Talking delays

Hybrid View

Talking delays

My kid is two and half year old but he has not yet started speaking. What age should any parent start worrying about talking delays. Also what initiatives one should take personally even before consulting a doctor about this

Dear Parentingisgreat,

Welcome to the forum - I love your member name!

It's important to remember that all children develop at a different rate and develop certain skills quicker than others but it is also wise to keep in mind the age-appropriate developmental milestones. At around 2 years of age a child should have around 50 words. This can concern parents but a word does not have to be an actual word it simply has to be your child's word for something which you are able to recognise (and know what it refers to). A speech and language therapist told me that even a certain action symbolising a word (such a mimicking a trunk rising for an elephant) would count as one of these 50 words.

This will raise to 300 words by the time a child is 3. However, for some children (my first son included) it is not until they are much closer to three that speech suddenly 'clicks' and they express themselves much clearer. Some children like to be able to understand everything before they express themselves. Speech recognition comes before speech production.

Does your child seem to recognise the majority of what you say to him? Can he carry out simple instructions even if you speak in a quiet voice (not a whisper) and he cannot see your face (and you don't give him any extra cues)? If not, then it may be wise to have his hearing tested. Many children have temporary hearing problems (glue ear is the most common in this age group) and this can temporarily delay speech and language development.

When you say your toddler has not started speaking could you clarify further what you mean by this please? How many words (even if they are his own words or actions) would you say he has? Does he ever use more than one word together?

Please try not to be concerned. As I mentioned above, my own son didn't have 50 words when he turned 2 but he quickly developed his speech and language skills once he passed 2 and a half.

Talking to your toddler as much as possible will help his speech and language development. It would be great if you could read at least 3-4 engaging books a day together. Books with animal noises or background noises are excellent for this.

Give your toddler choices when you ask him for something. For example, say 'would you like peanut butter (show jar) or fruit spread (show jar) with your toast?'. Get your toddlers attention before talking to him and try to come down to his level when you are talking to him. Music and singing groups are also fun ways to help with speech and language development.

If you have concerns I would make an appointment with your doctor who can refer you to a speech and language therapist and for hearing testing if necessary.

Warm wishes,
    LJ
    Last edited by ljmarsden; 6th March 2014 at 06:20 AM.

Hi LJ,

Thank you for your advise. I find it really helpful. I will start the good practise at home as suggested by you.

Warm Regards
    Parenting is great

Hi,

I'm glad this was helpful.

Please do post back and let us know how your son gets on. If you still have concerns about his speech then do see your doctor.

Warm wishes,
    LJ