Child hungry after breastfeeding

My friend's baby cries even after breast feeding him. It seems that the baby feels hungry and crying even after getting the feeds from her mother. But again her attending paediatrician has strictly forbidden her to give her baby any formula milk. As per the paediatrician, breast milk is nature's creation. So it is created in exact amount which is required for the baby. He says whatever feed the baby is getting is sufficient for him. Now my friend is worried how to manage her crying baby?
    Also the baby is little under weight. So weight gain is also a cause of concern for my friend. Her baby is just 1 month and baby weight is only 2.4 kilos.

Parentingisgreat,

I think it's great you are concerned about your friends baby. Sounds like she is getting conflicting advice from her bubs Dr.
    I highly suggest that mum make an appointment with a local Lactation Consultant to get a professional assessment of her baby as quickly as possible. A LC will be able to weigh her baby and then observe a full feeding, in doing so the LC will get a clear picture of whats going on with the baby's weight and latch. She will also be able to help mom to perfect bub's latch and get her on a specific feeding plan to get her bub gaining sufficient weight quickly.

In genera,l a breastfed baby generally breastfeeds every 1-3 hours, for 10-20 minutes per breast. Each baby however has his or her own breastfeeding routine and some will go for shorter or longer periods of time at the breast. If mom is concerned about intake, she can gently massage her breast while baby is nursing. This aids in milk removal and helps baby intake more.

Please encourage your friend to get to a Lactation Consultant soon. You can also encourage her to join the forums and we can advise her directly as well.

S5
    Your a great friend for being concerned.

Sunnymumof5,

Thank you so much for your suggestion. I will convey the same to my friend.

Warm Regards
    Parentingisgreat

Dear Parentingisgreat,

I see you have had some great advice from Sunnymumof5 above and seeing a Lactation Consultant can only be beneficial for mum and baby.

Many mums worry that their baby is not getting enough breastmilk or that they are not being satisfied by the breast. It is really key that your friend's baby has a good latch. A lactation consultant can check this (as should a paediatrician). Without a good latch the baby will not get a full mouthful of breast and be unable to stimulate the breast properly with can lead to them not getting enough hindmilk (the more calorific milk). I wrote a detailed post here about checking for a good latch which includes links to some excellent resources - please do pass this onto your friend.

In nearly all cases a mum will be able to produce enough breastmilk for her baby. Your friend's paediatrician is certainly right with this view. It is estimated that only around 3% of mums won't be able to produce enough breastmilk to exclusively breastfeed their baby and a lactation consultant would be able to diagnose with this and help with ways to increase mum's breastmilk supply (such as pumping and eating certain foods).

What is important with a baby's weight is that they are gaining weight compared to their birth weight. Some weight loss is expected in the first week of life.

With a woman's breastmilk supply, it works on a supply and demand basis. A baby needs to be put to the breast often enough in order to stimulate the breast and so lead to enough breastmilk being produced. With a newborn baby you should put them to the breast anytime (day and night) that they show any hunger cues. Crying is an advanced hunger cue and it is best if they have not got to this stage. Many mums are surprised at how often this is. For some newborn babies they will feed every 2 hours (day and night) for up to an hour. Not feeding them this frequently (in this baby's example) will mean they appear unsatisified and will lead to an insufficient breastmilk supply. Safe co-sleeping (following the unicef guidelines) can help mums to breastfeed their baby frequently at night-time whilst getting enough sleep. Wearing a baby in a supportive sling (such as the JPMBB or the Moby Stretch sling) can mean a mum can breastfeed her baby in the day whilst having her hands free and being out and about.

I would also like to reassure your friend that it does get easier and it is very early days. Please ask her to keep asking for help. Breastfeeding peer support groups and breastfeeding charities (including LLL) are excellent and I would encourage her to make contact with these, particularly if there is a group local to her. She needs to get the latch checked (it would also be wise to check the baby does not have a tongue tie which can cause problems with the latch) and to feed her baby whenever the baby shows any indication of needing feeding (for establishing a good supply). Your friend is giving her baby an incredible gift - many women struggle at first but with the right support a long, happy, healthy breastfeeding relationship can begin.

Wishing you and your friend all the best,
    Warm wishes,
    LJ