Mother has diabetes type 2, can I develop it too during pregnancy?

Hello everyone!
    I'll rather skip the long intro and jump to my main question / concern.
    I am 25, my mother is 55. She has diabetes type 2 - was diagnosed due to very high blood sugar levels few years ago. She didn't have diabetes during pregnancy.

Me and my husband are trying to conceive for the first time and I am very worried that I might get diabetes during pregnancy (gestational diabetes) and then diabetes type 2 (as gestational diabetes may lead to diabetes type 2 later on in life). I know that I am overreacting and worrying too much isn't good for anything but I am concerned anyway.
    What do you think? Am I prone to diabetes since my mother has it? Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening (for example a healthy diet or something)?
    Please share your thoughts with me. Thank you in advance!
    Love, Jane

Dear jane88,

I'm sorry to read about your concerns.

Eating a healthy diet and staying active reduce a woman's chance of getting gestational diabetes. It is also recommended to eat a healthy balanced diet and to exercise for at least 30 minutes each day when you are trying to conceive. Women who are overweight are more likely to suffer from gestational diabetes.

Gestational diabetes is more common in women who have a close family member (including a parent) who had type 2 diabetes. However, this certainly does not mean they will get gestational diabetes - particularly if the woman is active and healthy herself. The majority of cases of gestational diabetes disappear after pregnancy.

I hope that this information is helpful for you. Please do post back if we can support you further with this or any other pregnancy-related matters.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

p.s. There is an article on the main Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond site on Gestational Diabetes which you may find helpful.

LJ

Thanks for getting back to me!

See, this is my concern - I know that diabetes can be inherited.

I will improve my diet and try to be active a little more. I have a desk job and this certainly isn't helping me as I lack exercise. But these are all factors I have an influence on. Inheritence is something I cannot influence. But there isn't much point in worrying over this anyway...
    Do you think it is a good idea to start measuring my blood sugar levels? Do I measure my blood sugar levels during pregnancy as well?

Is gestational diabetes related to diabetes type 2 later in life? I was told that gestational diabetes always dissapears after birth but than can later on develop to type 2?

Thanks for replying to me.
    Jane

Dear Jane.

You are welcome.

Yes I think it would be wise to put a good health regime into action now.

When you are pregnant your midwife will monitor you for gestational diabetes. She will do this particularly if you explain your concerns to her. Your midwife can check your urine for blood sugars at your antenatal appointments. You can also have a glucose tolerance test (from 16 weeks of pregnancy) to test for gestational diabetes.

Have you been tested for diabetes type 2 already? You could be tested for this before pregnancy, obviously. The reason I ask this is because around 20% of cases of gestational diabetes are actually found to be women that already have diabetes type 2 but were unaware of this before pregnancy.

Gestational diabetes does not always disappear after pregnancy but it generally does.

Yes you are right - a woman who has had gestational diabetes is more likely to develop diabetes type 2 at a later stage.

Best wishes,
    LJ

Quote Originally Posted by ljmarsden View Post
    Dear Jane.

You are welcome.

Yes I think it would be wise to put a good health regime into action now.

When you are pregnant your midwife will monitor you for gestational diabetes. She will do this particularly if you explain your concerns to her. Your midwife can check your urine for blood sugars at your antenatal appointments. You can also have a glucose tolerance test (from 16 weeks of pregnancy) to test for gestational diabetes.

Have you been tested for diabetes type 2 already? You could be tested for this before pregnancy, obviously. The reason I ask this is because around 20% of cases of gestational diabetes are actually found to be women that already have diabetes type 2 but were unaware of this before pregnancy.

Gestational diabetes does not always disappear after pregnancy but it generally does.

Yes you are right - a woman who has had gestational diabetes is more likely to develop diabetes type 2 at a later stage.

Best wishes,
    LJ
    Thank you for explaining.
    No, I haven't done any tests before. I will ask my doctor if I she can measure my blood sugar levels. As far as these values are concerned, are these values accurate (blood sugar levels and indication)?
    Glucose mmol/l (mg/dl)
    Value less than 6.1 (110) on an empty stomach normal value
    between 6.1 (110) and 6.9 (125) on an empty stomach limit value
    more than 7.0 (125) on an empty stomach possible diabetes
    more than 11.0 (198) anytime possible diabetes
    How about if I buy my own blood sugar tester - you know the ones you can buy in drug store? Are these accurate? If I do test on my own and it shows that I have increased blood sugar levels is this information credible? I mean do I need to repeat the measurement at my doctors office or can I take this test as 100% accurate and only let my doctor know what were the measurements?
    Last edited by jane88; 18th March 2014 at 08:35 AM.

Dear jane88,

Thanks for your reply.

There is some discussion around what are normal blood glucose levels. Here is a link which shows the NICE (National Institute for Clinical Excellence) guidelines on blood glucose levels. Because of this, it would be best if you had the test at your doctors (at least for the first test) so that your doctor can interpret your results. Hopefully this will be able to put your mind at rest.

Best wishes,
    LJ