Thread: Hard stool

Hard stool

Hello.
    My 1 year old daughter is passing very hard stools. And she's always constipated. I already tried different formulas to seek what suits for her. Can you please advise what else should I do?

Hello,

Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear your daughter is having problems with constipation.

From 12 months of age you can give your child (full fat) cows milk. You could try this rather than formula to see if it helps her tummy. Is your daughter also breastfed? Breastmilk is wonderful at relieving constipation in babies so if she is breastfed then trying increasing her feeds (i.e. putting her to the breast more often) for now.

It's important that your daughter eats lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, particularly when she is suffering from constipation. Foods high in fibre will also help with this, such as: oatbran, beans, cabbage, broccoli, oranges and mushrooms. Make sure that your daughter also drinks plenty of water. Many children also like to drink (and help make) fresh fruit smoothies and this is an excellent way of giving your toddler fresh fruit.

Whilst your daughter is still suffering from constipation, give her plenty of warm baths (once or twice a day) and it may help to gently massage her tummy in a clockwise direction whilst she is in the bath.

The problem with constipation in babies and young children is that if children pass a hard stool and find this painful/scary then they will try to hold on longer until they next poo. The longer they don't poo for the harder the stool gets because the body will remove water from the stool and so the problem goes on. Some of the suggestions above should help you to break this cycle. However, if you are still concerned then please see your doctor.

Do let me know how you get on.

Best wishes,
    LJ