Thread: Coffee drinker

Hybrid View

Coffee drinker

I'm a coffee drinker. Is it safe to have at least my morning cup of coffee during pregnancy? I'm worried that it might give a bad effects to my baby.

Great question lizzry100612,

In general a pregnant mum should generally be cautious with caffeine intake. However their is no census on how much caffeine is safe during pregnancy.
    To be safe the March of Dimes advises women to limit their caffeine intake to less than 200 milligrams per day, which is about one 12-ounce cup of coffee.
    However you'll feel better if you don't consume a lot of caffeine. It's a stimulant, so it will raise your heart rate. Plus, it can make you feel jittery and cause insomnia. Caffeine can also contribute to heartburn by stimulating the secretion of stomach acid. Heartburn is already heightened during pregnancy so the less amount of caffeine the better you will feel.
    Ultimately the decision is up to you and how comfortable you feel.
    Best wishes on your pregnancy.

thanks for that info.

Dear lizzry100612,

Congratulations on your pregnancy. I see you have had some helpful advice from sunnymumof5 above.

You may also find this previous thread where I discussed drinking coffee in pregnancy helpful. Please be aware that some single drinks of coffee sold in coffee shops have been found to contain more caffeine than the recommended daily amount in pregnancy. Caffeine has been found to be linked to an increased chance of miscarriage and a higher chance of having a baby with a low birth weight.

Many women swap to decaffeinated coffee in pregnancy, or choose other drinks (smoothies are a great alternative as they boost your nutrient levels at the same time). If you are going to swap to decaffeinated coffee it is recommended to drink coffee decaffeinated by the Swiss water filter process when you are pregnant. Chemically decaffeinated coffees have been shown to cause as much risk in pregnancy as caffeinated coffees.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

thanks i did some research regarding it as well.

You are welcome, LJ

Hi,

Thanks for your comments.

Smoking is quite different as this is unequivocally harmful in pregnancy unlike drinking coffee. It is important to be aware of the recommended caffeine limits in pregnancy and to understand that this caffeine could not only come from coffee but also chocolate and drinks such as cola. Cold coffee often has the same amount of caffeine as hot coffee - it depends on how it has been made.

Thanks,
    LJ