Hybrid View

Missed Miscarriage

I experienced a miscarriage last year, it occurred during my first trimester and I didn't experience any signs or symptoms signaling a problem with my pregnancy. During my third visit to my doctor he told me that I had miscarried and used the term "Missed Miscarriage". I was unable to inquire about this term as I was very emotional. I would like to find out what the term "Missed Miscarriage" refers to.

Dear proactivejo3,

Welcome to the Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond forum. We are pleased to have you join us on here.

I'm so very sorry to hear that you experienced a miscarriage last year. It is a tragic loss which often stays with parents forever. A 'missed miscarriage' can be even more difficult to come to terms with because it can come as a greater shock.

A missed miscarriage is sometimes called a silent miscarriage. This refers to a miscarriage where there are no symptoms of the miscarriage (such as bleeding or abdominal cramps/pain). It may be first diagnosed at the first scan appointment. Sadly sometimes a baby will not continue to develop in pregnancy and sometimes a pregnancy sac develops with no embryo present (the later is known as an anembryonic pregnancy or blighted ovum and this can also be a missed miscarriage).

It is thought then many miscarriages occur because there is an incorrect number of chromosomes in the embryo for the baby to develop normally. It is hardly ever caused by anything the mum did or did not do.

Again, please let me say I am so sorry for what you have been through. What a terrible shock as well as dealing with the feelings of loss and sadness. I wonder if you will find this article helpful about remembering our lost babies.

With warm wishes,
    LJ