How to teach an extra hyper kid?

Hi. I have a son, he is turning two this coming April. He seems very active all the time. He would climb on the chair, crawl under the table, run up and down the stairs and we have to chase him when giving him a bath. He is always busy, always finding something to be busy about. My worry is, he might not be able to learn what he is supposed to be learning at his age because he is so so active that he cannot focus. Compared to other children same as his age, they can already talk and follow instructions. My son on the other hand, well he is smart, yes, but he only follows instructions when he feels like listening. Most of the time he does his own thing.

Is he hyperactive? What should we do in order for him to focus so we'd be able to teach him some stuffs?

Thanks so much!

Dear chasermack,

Thank you for sharing your interesting question here.

What you describe sounds normal for an almost two year old. He sounds very inquisitive and interested in exploring the world around him; what wonderful attributes to have! At this age, children often find it difficult to listen to instructions. It can really help if you bend your knees so that you are at their level and get their attention first (for instance, by gently tapping them and calling their name) before you ask them something.

The very best way to learn is through play. Studies now show that even up to seven years of age children learn better through play than any other method. It sounds like your son is doing a great job at this.

I wonder if you would consider your son to be quite 'strong willed'. Sometimes particularly bright, interested toddlers can appear defiant when they are simply wanting to explore more of the world around them. This article by Little Hearts Gentle Parenting is excellent at discussing this topic: The Gift of a Strong-Willed Child. In particular, the author LR Knost notes that strong-willed children learn through doing and they are often intensely independent.

The website the imagination tree has some superb ideas for encouraging and facilitating your child to learn through imagination and play.

If you still feel that your son is suffering from ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) then note that keeping sugar and processed foods to a minimum can really help with this. A sign of ADHD in toddlers is that they are easily distracted from play and find it hard to concentrate on a particular game or toy; I don't think this is what you are describing. ADHD is very difficult to diagnose in children under 4 years of age. From what you have described I would not feel he has ADHD (I have worked with children who do have ADHD), however, if you are still concerned then do see your doctor.

I hope this is helpful. Please do post back and let me know your thoughts on this.
    Warm wishes,
    LJ