Thread: Pregnancy Loss

Hybrid View

Pregnancy Loss

Hello.

My sister had 4 pregnancies, the first one was successful, in fact her son is now 5 years old. However, the last 3 pregnancies were not successful. The 3 pregnancies were practically similar, the heartbeat of the fetus just stopped at around 2-3 months gestation. Has it something to do with her weight? cause she is somewhat overweight during the 3 unsuccessful pregnancies compared to the first one, she was really slim. Or something else might be causing it?

Dear chasermack,

I'm so sorry to hear of your sister's sad losses. My heart goes out to her and her family.

If a woman has 3 or more miscarriages in a row then it is known as a 'recurrent miscarriage'. Most women who suffer from this are then referred to a gynecologist to try to find out what may be causing the miscarriages. Has your sister undergone any testing to work out what the cause of her miscarriages may be?

For some women who have recurrent miscarriage; there is no cause found of this miscarriage. In a single miscarriage it is most often believed to be caused by a chromosome problem (for example, the wrong number of chromosomes in the embryo) which stop the embryo from developing further. Does your sister know if a heartbeat was found in her babies before she had the miscarriage (i,e, at a very early scan) or was no heartbeat ever found (in the later case a heartbeat may never have developed rather than the heartbeat stopping)?

Women aged over 35 are unfortunately more likely to have a miscarriage (because the quality of the eggs starts to rapidly decrease after this age). What age was your sister at her pregnancies? Being overweight can also make a miscarriage more likely and this may be linked to PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome).

Other issues which may cause recurrent miscarriage include a problem with the uterus (which it is possible could have occurred after a previous successful pregnancy) and blood clotting disorders.

I look forward to hearing from you again so we can help you further with this.

My thoughts are with your sister.
    Best wishes,
    LJ