Hybrid View

Food for infants

Is it safe to give a 5 month old apple juice?

Dear 2havekids1day,

The World Health Organisation recommend that babies up to 6 months of age are exclusively breastfed (this means that they have breastmilk and nothing else, not even water is necessary - breastmilk contains everything that they need). From 6 months of age, and when a baby is developmentally ready, solid food can be introduced alongside the breastmilk until 2 years of age and beyond. Breastmilk gives a baby developmental, emotional, nutritional, immunological advantages (compared to formula milk). If a baby is not breastfed then they should only be given formula milk for the first 6 months of life.

There is no real need to give a baby or toddler apple juice as it is sugary and can be bad for their teeth. It should certainly be avoided before 12 months of age.

I hope this helps.
    Best wishes,
    LJ

Dentists recommend not giving children juice till age 10, due to the harm it can do to growing teeth.

Juice that says "No added sugar" is actually a lie. It means that the pulp and other products they use to make the juice MAY have sugar in them, but when they put all the ingredients together the final company in the process didn't add any extra.

So you need to look for "No sugar" not "No added sugar" products. That said, I didn't let my kids drink juice before 2 and even now I try and minimize how much they have, unless it's fresh squeezed.

Thanks Susannah - this is really enlightening,
    LJ

It's a pity how many "tricks" companies use with their marketing and ingredients.