Thread: Kid Temper

Hybrid View

Question Kid Temper

My son is two and a half year old, I am worried because whenever I try to correct him when he is wrong he becomes so angry and in the process can hit with anything around or him or worse still harm himself by throwing himself down. How do I handle this?

Dear Damaris Mugo,

I know it is difficult when your child is having a temper tantrum. We have had some helpful advice shared, from health professionals and mums, on our forum previously. I will consolidate some of this below; I hope that you find it helpful.

- Try to avoid situations when your son is more likely to have a temper tantrum. In your son's case perhaps it is ok to allow him to be 'wrong' at times, in fact, you may find that he comes to the 'correct' answer to a question or solution himself eventually anyway. The longer I am a parent the more I have felt confident to allow my children to explore their world and be creative - it doesn't necessarily matter if they don't come up with what we would think of as the right answer. Children are the most innovative of all of us!

- If it seems that your child is starting to lose control of their emotions then try a 'calm me bottle' (I came across this idea on the Little Hearts Gentle Parenting website). This is a bottle filled with glitter and craft glitter glue, food colouring and foil hearts etc. When your child seems that they are becoming overwhelmed hand them the calm me bottle (or, better still, let them choose one) and the gentle shaking of this and watching the material move and glide around inside can give them some time to stop and re-gain their emotions.

- If your child does still have a tantrum then make sure the area is safe and move any objects out of the way he could hurt himself with. Stay nearby and keep reminding him that you are there. Some children find a gentle hand on their shoulder helps them to calm down and cuddle mummy at this point, others won't want any touch.

- Later, when he is calm and happy try to talk about what happened and see if he can explain (perhaps through drawing) why he felt frustrated.

Remember, it will get easier as he gets older. Stay calm and focus on your relationship!

Warm wishes,
    LJ

I appreciate your help in a great way, because it was very frustrating and I at times thought I was being too hard on him but our relationship has grown really well, and after he has done something wrong he will come to me and say sorry, give me a hug and it really feels amazing.

You sound like a wonderful parent! Putting your relationship, rather than you child's behaviour, first is the best way to build a lifelong relationship of trust with your child. I do hope the resources above are helpful for you.

Best wishes,
    LJ