Breast Silicone Implants

Hi! I just want to know if it is still possible for mothers who have silicone implants to breastfeed? And how does it affect the mother and the baby? Thank you in advance.

Dear proud2beamom,

Thank you for posting this interesting question.

There is a very informative article on the Art of Breastfeeding website on this topic here here: Breastfeeding with Silicone Implants: Are There Risks? I hope that you find this helpful.

The majority of women who have silicone implants are able to successfully breastfeed. A minority of women with implants will have a reduced milk supply. Some women with implants are more at risk from mastitis (due to breast engorgement) but it is difficult to pinpoint which women will suffer from this in advance of having their baby.

There are no conclusive risks to the baby from breastfeeding with silicone implants and, because of the great benefits of breastmilk, women with implants are advised to try and establish a strong breastfeeding relationship.

Warm wishes,
    LJ

I would like to chime in as this is a very important subject to me.
    I have saline breast implants and got them about 12 years ago. I have been exclusively breastfeeding for 9 years straight with my implants. I have nursed 3 babies as well as tandem nursed many of those 9 years. I never once had any milk supply issues what so ever.
    I do want to point out that my implants are behind the muscle and were inserted in my arm pit. My nipples were not moved.
    I wanted to make sure that all breast tissue was left intact in case I chose to nurse after my surgery. Another concern that I had was engorgement with my newborns...I am thankful to say that I did not have any significant engorgement at all. I also had all of my babies naturally and thus they all nursed very well after birth.
    Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding implants, Id be more than happy to talk to you about it.
    My experience with them has been wonderful.
    Blessings

Thank you so much sunnymumof5 for sharing your personal experience of this one.

Yes I have also read about breastfeeding being easier in cases were the nipple was not moved to insert the implant.

I hope this helps you proud2beamom.

Warm wishes,
    LJ