Thread: happy feeding

happy feeding

I was so excited when my last bub breastfeed but then I lost my milk supply in only 3 months, why does that happen? can I prevent that in the future?

Dear lisax04,

I'm sorry to hear that. I wonder if I could ask you some more questions to help us to answer your question properly. Were you exclusively breastfeeding your baby (i.e. only feeding your baby breastmilk and nothing else)? As I'm sure you are aware, exclusive breastfeeding is recommended by the World Health Organisation for the first 6 months of life.

Did you breastfeed your baby on demand day and night? This means that you put your baby to the breast and allowed them to feed whenever they showed any cues that they wanted feeding in the day and night. Often young babies will 'cluster feed' in the evenings. This means that they have one feed almost on top of another and this may go on for a number of hours. This is normal and it is best to follow your baby's lead.

The reason I ask this is because breastmilk works on a supply and demand basis. Therefore, you have to put the baby to the breast frequently enough (in the day and night) in order to tell your body to make enough breastmilk for your baby. Similarly, if you give your baby any formula milk then your body will not make the equivalent amount of breastmilk and so your breastmilk supply will start to drop.

What happened at 3 months? Did your supply just seem less or stop suddenly? A sudden stop in breastmilk supply (particularly with such a young baby) would be very rare if your baby was exclusively breastfed on demand. Were you ill or suffering with stress at this time?

It is also important that the latch is right (a lactation consultant or breastfeeding peer support worker can check this). Was breastfeeding comfortable? A good latch should be comfortable. If the latch is not right the baby will not be able to extract milk properly from the breast and so the milk supply can drop.

Please don't feel guilty. You gave your baby Nature's Perfect Milk (as it is sometimes known) for 3 months which will have given your baby benefits such as: increased immunity, cancer fighting abilities, stem cells, aiding speech and language development.....and the list goes on.

I look forward to reading your reply so that we can help you more with this.

Best wishes,
    LJ