Administrator

Resources for Gentle Parenting

I would like to start a thread that can provide some information on resources for parents in Australia that support gentle parenting techniques. The way we parent our children has a life long impact and I personally get very concerned when talking to new parents about recommendations they receive from some health professionals. Most of these recommendations involve the use of controlled comforting (in other words 'controlled crying' ) often on very tiny babies without regard to these babies physical or emotional needs. Can you provide details of health professionals (or organisations) that support gentle parenting? Also it would be great to list resources that you have found helpful.
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

Administrator
    I have listed some courses by Pinky McKay and Robin Grill on my website on this page http://www.pregnancy.com.au/parentin...es/index.shtml that focus on Gentle Parenting Techniques. Tell us if you know of other courses that people might find valuable.
    Hidden Content aussiemidwife
    Moderator Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond
    Hidden Content

I loved the book Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering by Dr. Sarah Buckley.

I can also recommend www.screamfreeparenting.com - a real life saver!

You know I was always told that parenting came with no manuals haha. I have seen so many books on parenting and a lot of advice that I have used for my son and will continue to use. I read a lot of things online mostly, but I think that it is great we have a few things that can help us deal and stay calm. Thank you for your help and advice as well.